Article: XJ Hood Vent Install

Default XJ Hood Vent Install

Well, as many of you know Jeep Cherokees (xj’s) are known for their over-heating problems. So I started chasing solutions to solve this problem and decided to start with hood louvers. I’ll jump straight into it, You can either do this with the hood on or off, if you have a second set of hands I’d recommend taking it off as it makes the entire process quite a bit easier.

Step 1: Remove Hood (optional)

First disconnect the hood latch, slide the latch inwards as it would if you were trying to open the hood and the cable should push up and slide out with ease, once this is done on snap the small light by sliding it out (or up) and pulling it off of it’s plastic clips. Now you are ready to remove the hood, always easier with a second set of hands simply loosen the bolts (2 per side) set them aside and the hood will come right off.

Step 2: Marking your holes (Make sure you set them so the louvers are open towards the windshield)

Before you do any marking on your hood I highly recommend you take masking tape and completely cover the area you will be working in, this keeps paint from chipping and unwanted scratches/marks on your paint. Once this is done, place the louvers where you want them, measure from each side making sure they are centered and trace the outside of your louvers keeping it all on the masking tape.

Now, different louvers may be different widths so measure from the outside edge of your louver in about inch or more past the mounting holes. Then take that measurement and measure in that amount off the line you just traced on your hood, mark it grab a straight edge and make your lines. This is the line you will be cutting.

Step 3: Cutting the holes (Note: I would recommend grabbing some spray paint and touching up the edges you just cut to keep rust from sneakin up on you)

There are several different ways to go about this, angle grinder, jig saw, sawzall, and I supposed if you really wanted to even a plasma cutter. I however went with a jig saw. You’ll want to find a drill bit slightly bigger then the blade on whatever tool your using and drill a hole in each corner of the INSIDE line you’ll be cutting. This makes it much easier to start the cut and gives it a nice clean and round corner.

Step 4: Mounting your louvers

With the masking tape still on and your louvers in place, mark each hole all the way around. The louvers I purchased came with pop rivets, so all I did was drill the appropriate sized holes, removed the masking tape, set the louvers in place and riveted it into place.

Efficiency: I’ve had good luck with these, no over heating problems since then although it has yet to go through an Arizona summer. It allows far better air flow and hot air escape, plus it looks cool.

Where did you get those vents? What brand are they?