Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Devil's Minerals

Default Devil's Minerals

The plan was to get a well rounded trip together. Something for everyone. Some AZ wheeling, middle of nowhere, rarely traveled, mine camp relic explores, a simple vehicle camp with shade and water, and even a canyon with some narrows.

The camp we'd end up I had been to before, but from an easier route since I was driving solo and it was an anniversary trip. I knew there were other ways in but there's little information about the trails. The harder way from Devil's Canyon looked fun but I knew it was rarely traveled and could require lockers. There was an even harder way but the only info I had on it was that the road may not even be passable in certain sections. So we took Devil's in and decided to explore the harder way on day 2 since it was where the old topo maps said the most mine houses and tunnels were.

Maybe Bob can add more words to this thread. Summed up, our route in is pretty much the definition of an Arizona Jeep trail. There's a few tough sections, some good off camber tippy sections, cool geology, route finding and of course pinstriping from rare use. The goal was keeping our tires and radiators in-tact. We really worked over our suspensions and clear coats. Thanks to Noel for shooting some pics along the way.

Bob - '81 Jeep Cherokee
    Jonathan - Toyota Tacoma
    Michael - Nissan Xterra

Lots of gates

Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Last edited by Skatchkins; 11-06-2017 at 12:03 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Beautiful country.

It was the classic AZ trial that had rocks, dirt, sharp things and some amazing views. The trail was just long enough going in that you were ready for it to be done when you got to camp. That may just be me with my sweet sweet ruff country lift.
    Camp had a great tree covering and the "Creek" wasn't far off. Im sure its more of a creek in the wet season. There was lots of great smelling wood to burn for hotdog cooking and from what I am told great "poop spots" just over the hill.
    From camp we made our way up a "road" that was nothing bushes and trees with thorns. The sound that the paint made as it was ripped from the doors will haunt me. All kidding aside it got narrow and thick in spots but that's why we have our rigs. I am 100% grateful I didn't take the Dodge. That would have just been a bad day...
    There were some cool stuff for the hikers to explore. I walked out to one and looked around. It always blows my mind that people would head miles into a harsh wilderness to look for gold and then build a life there.
    On the way out we tried one road but the washouts were a little too much. You had to ride the wall and were still pushing rocks down the hill. Mike made a good call and we turned around.

You couldn't have asked for better weather. Just warm enough to make you sweat but not hot enough to burn and it cooled off at night. People with AC in their rig are wimps...
    Last edited by fatbob309; 11-06-2017 at 12:26 PM.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

A Jeep, a Nissan, and Toyota walk into the desert...

actually, I've got nothing. That's an awesome trip and I'm insanely jealous.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Dirt Beard!!!!

Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

Looks like a good trip! Good to see that a run actually came to fruition!
    '94 Ram 2500 :: 35's :: rear LSD :: 4.10's :: Crate 5.9 :: thats about it!

Missed a few of you out there

After a long trail day by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

<3