Thread: Moab Christmas

snow Moab Christmas

Most mornings started like this

Cabin snow by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

I tried to get down the mountain to run Hell's Revenge on Christmas Day but the powder was too deep with ice underneath. The ravine on a corner was trying to eat me. Forward or back just made it hungrier so I got out the shovel and decided I wouldn't stop digging until I had a turnaround. I found out the chains I brought that I lent briefly to a guy stuck on the mountain the day before had been broken when he spun and slung them off. While digging, a quadcab came by so I strapped on for an easy spin around. There are worse places to spend a white Christmas than holed up in a toasty cabin with a porch hot tub.

The next day was our checkout but Noel said, "You know, there's no reason we can't hit Hell's on the way out..." I was like what really? So I fixed the chains with a radiator hose clamp and we started down the hill. The plow came through that day so it wasn't huge deal but the temp stayed below freezing until we were down so there was ice to watch for.

We made it down and went over to the Sands Flats pay station. There was no one there or in the parking lots. We paid the $5, aired down and started up. Noel decided pretty quick that she was a photographer instead of a passenger. That was a bonus for me so I could get plenty of "I was there!" shots. Anyway, thankfully I've seen it done before with most of you so I just kept telling myself that- and hanging out the window, lots of that to see where to go.

I had done some pretalk with resident superstar Bob and figured out to the overlook and back was the best option for some clean fun. Noel and I made it down to the sand off the hills and then called it good. There wasn't any one to watch do Hell's Gate and we were needing to get on the road home. So we turned around and ran the hills again.

The X did great. MTR's up front and Maxxis Bighorns in the back all aired down to 15. Locked up so well. I admit I was super intimidated being the only one on the trail in our group or in it's entirety. We had the whole thing to ourselves.

Keep in mind, this is the Only day that was clear while we were there (and the first day had snow on it and the second, rain)! Great timing for sure

Thanks!

Christmas arch by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 12-28-2016 at 02:33 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Glad you guys had a blast! Doesn't get much better than that. X looks good in Moab

that looked like a lot of fun

makes me laugh you still have that mini tree
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Stop looking at the camera Mike!!!
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

So very very good! Great shots, Noel! Great adventure, Mike! I bet that was so cool to have the whole place to yourself. #moabninja in the house!
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Thanks all

Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

That looks like an awesome trip! Noel took great pics!

Happy graduation. ��

You guys are fun, awesome pictures and great story telling!
    '94 Ram 2500 :: 35's :: rear LSD :: 4.10's :: Crate 5.9 :: thats about it!