Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Operation Money Pit

Default Operation Money Pit

I have a plan and a dream. My base is a 74 CJ5 with a 232. The engine has been rebuilt and has larger cam so that is rumbles like a V8. I will post pics eventually.

The plan is to install a T-18 tranny with a 6:1 first gear. That will be married to a Dana 300 that will haveLomax 4:1 kit. Lockers will go into the front Dana 30 and also in the Dana 44 that is the rear. I have decided which lockers yet but I am leaning towards Yukon or Ox lockers. I also am planning to do a disc brake conversion in the front. I could really use a parts list and advice for this modification.

The body on my CJ5 is totally tweaked and has the occassionally rust spot. It will go to the steel recyclers. I will be using a Painless wire kit for wiring. I will be keeping the original grill but replacing the tub and fenders.

I have changed out the body for a Willys Overland Motors.It has some great benefits. The first being predrilled for body mounts. All firewall holes properly cut and angled. Holes for the gas, brake, and clutch pedals. Hole for the steering column. All tail light wiring and fuel filler holes will also be in place. Later CJ models will have the brackets for the grille support rods, tailgate seals, or tailgate mounting holes installed. Floor supports repaired, modified and/or re-positioned. A number of other parts that we fabricate and weld into place.

Enough of my ramblng, I will post pics of the Jeep in its current state tomorrow. Thank you in advance for all the critics, advice and encouragement.

Read more: http://www.jeep-cj.com/forums/f98/op...#ixzz3wnjOhyk6
    <><

No plan B.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger except for bears, bears will kill you.

#Ibelieve

Here is how it originally looked.

<><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

Pics of it coming apart.

<><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

My daughter from MN visiting. Yes, I put her to work the first day here.

My wife brought us food and helped a bit.

<><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

The body coming off.

- - - Updated - - -

One of Braedon's first rides in the CJ.

<><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

Here is where I am today. I have to source a throw out bearing for the T-18. Unfortunately, I do not know what the T-18 came out of. I do have the inner diameter. That is 1.437.

<><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

I have the new body ready to go on and the body fenders from Metalcloak. I am waiting to see how short the rear driveshaft is. That will determine the next step. To stretch or not to stretch.
    <><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

Awesome! Thanks for posting the build thread. Can't wait to see Money Pit in the green!
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Thanks Alan. Like I said I need the right throw out bearing then I can move forward.
    <><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve

I got the throw out bearing and the right clutch fork today plus some other miscellaneous stuff. Took a trip to Willy's Works in Tucson. Avis I recommend Rob, the owner, as a great resource. Pics soon.
    <><

No plan B.

#Ibelieve