Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 86 Chevy K10

Made some progress over the past couple days..

Everything is apart minus cleaning up the frame and the suspension stuff. Trying to sell almost everything you see along the wall except one fender and the front bumper. It's cheaper to buy new panels then pay for someone to try and fix those. Next step is taking the frame down to nothing, start rebuilding and painting and putting it all back together. Hopefully in the next 4-6 weeks the frame will be painted, the axles will be rebuilt, suspension and steering will be done and new wheels/tires will be on.

That's a ton of work Daniel! Nice!

Are you gonna box the frame at all while it's apart?

Hadn't really given it a thought... but not a bad idea, especially in the back where the hitch will be. I was for sure planning on adding a steering box brace.

Making more progress..

Got the frame stripped down and inspected. Couple of cracks i need to fix, and where the steering box is has already been broken and fixed. Axles are at Letzroll waiting on a rebuild, going to ditch the 10 bolt in the back and go with a 12 bolt with a locker. After I fix all the areas on the frame, I will be boxing it in spots, installing the air bag brackets and painting on a good undercoating.

Little update...

Got the frame stripped down and painted

Had to do some frame repair as it was cracked in a couple places, and I also welded in plates where the hitch mounts to strengthen it a bit.

Got the axles back from Letzroll and all the new bushings in the leafs. Finally have a rolling chassis again! We did end up getting different axles... the gears in the original set didn't match and they were so trashed that putting new gears in was stupid. So we ditched the 10 bolts and got a 12 bolt for the back and a D44 for up front.

Probably the last update for a while, my dad decided to fill in the poll and pour concrete so he can park his travel trailer in the backyard. So that will be taking up our time and his money for the next 2-3 months while we get all that done.

little update... pool is gone, concrete has been poured and it's pretty awesome..

Ended up buying a 6.0l with a 4L80e trans out of an 01 chevy instead of using the 5.3 and the weaker 4l60e that came out of the 02 suburban.

Tore it all apart and took the motor down to Baileys to have it rebuilt and got it home yesterday. Next is the trans and t-case.

Nice! The last pic with your dad smiling is awesome, I can't wait to build stuff like this with Nathan as he gets older.

Got the trans and t-case rebuilt, and everything set in place yesterday for a test fit. It will have to be pulled a couple more times for some adjustments... BUT, still exciting to see it sitting in place.

[IMG]Untitled by Daniel Avis, on Flickr[/IMG]

Not a ton of updates... got the motor all together as much as we can for now. Shocks are on, drive shafts are on, new fuel tank is in place, and the next step is setting the cab. So Monday it will go to the body shop and they will start on it. It will probably be a month or two before we get it back as he's going to take his time and work on it when he can to cut cost for us a bit.... and the main reason is the paint (just the paint) cost 3k. Then you have all the labor and body work on top of the paint cost. So for now, it will go out back and sit until the cab comes back home and in the meantime I'll fix all my broken junk sitting around in the A/C.

Got the truck stashed out back while the body work on the cab is getting done. Will probably be a couple months as he won't paint it unless we order all of the paint for the entire project... which happens to be 3k (just the paint) So that frees the shop up to catch up on all my other broken crap.