Thread: Aravaipa Anniversary trip

Default Aravaipa Anniversary trip

It's been on my list for a while, so for my wife and I's big 1-yr anniversary, we got our permits for as many days as possible on the creek. We car camped nearby so we could start early in the morning and not waste any time wasting time.

I've been patronized before by friends who informed me that the kind of girl I was looking for didn't exist. This trip was just another 4 days with my life adventure partner who I've poked plenty of times to attest her realness.

Anyway. Before we even made it into the creek we started exploring. We found several abandoned homes with adobe walls, trees growing out of them, and some interesting left behind contents. Once we had finished the drive, we hiked in from Turkey Creek, and leisurely hoofed down to a camp just upstream and south of Deer Creek. I figured this would allow us easy base tripping through the hellish slot canyons and further downstream if warranted. We had just taken our packs off and were sitting about when a group of 4 came from the west end hoping to camp in the same spot. I am much appreciative to older man #2 who had to "ahem" #1 when he asked me how much room did we need. They walked back downstream to pick another spot to set up. It's hard to throw a rock and not hit a good camping spot on the east side.

After a rest, we daypacked into Deer Creek. I was a little blah'd at first since it looks like Arizona in there and didn't come here for any more of that. Then it turned green again and water was running and collecting here and there. We made it to the arch and then down to the spring for a drink and back out. We had plenty of time for wood collecting and dinner/fire time afterwards. I did see one more person who bemused to me that she had never even heard of this canyon before and was just GET throughing this segment.

The next day we went down stream to Booger. Noel got out her book and I hiked up to the large but dry waterfall above. We ate lunch, relaxed, and then headed back. I led us into Paisano on a hunch and was excited to find the large pool complete with waterfall and rainbow. Adam and Eve variety places like this are the reason I must apologize in advance if you are a quiet hiker.

We saw no one that day and decided in the morning we'd hike back to the vehicle and then check out the ruins and maybe Oak Grove. We never saw any Coati If they make inward bark-like noises then we heard them that night. We saw a handful of Turkeys, 2 small deer regularly and one young buck that thought we couldn't see him at 10 ft away if he stayed still.

Once back at the vehicle, we drove down to the ruins for lunch and then decided we felt fulfilled and could take a peak in OG Canyon next time. I felt that a good decision too since then I wouldn't be too tired for a late Thursday drive home, and could get a full night of bed sleep since I was catching a Jeep ride to Moab at 3am Saturday morning.

IMG_9308 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_8836 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_8838 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_8870 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_8887 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

The sandals worked great for this trip

IMG_8895 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Entering the slots of Deer Canyon

IMG_8928 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Drinking from the spring. I wouldn't have been able to fight along with Gideon.

IMG_8960 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Maybe she needs her own chair and some shoes ( http://www.higherground4x4.com/forum...9056#post59056 )

IMG_8994 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_9041 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Trip leaders

IMG_8878 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_9159 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Home

IMG_9235 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Have you seen my friend Bob?

IMG_9251 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Late afternoon

IMG_9253 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

S'plorin'

IMG_9259 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Gurgle gurgle

IMG_9267 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_9273 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

IMG_9286 by No Stone Unturned Photography, on Flickr

Great pics. Thanks for sharing.

No plan B.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger except for bears, bears will kill you.

#Ibelieve

Incredible! So much awesomeness. As always, your stories are worded perfectly I love the room picture that has trees for a back wall.

WOW!

(and Happy Anniversary once again!)

Wow. That is awesome! I need to take more time and just look around on my hunting trips. I miss so much.
    "Drinking from the spring. I wouldn't have been able to fight along with Gideon." Made me laugh.

Thanks guys. Already wanting to go back

Quote Originally Posted by Skatchkins View Post
    Thanks guys. Already wanting to go back
    To the place where love comes from?

Quote Originally Posted by alanzona View Post
    To the place where love comes from?
    Spewed forth. The waterfall spewed it forth instead of being the actual source.