Thread: Hi. I used to live near an exo-caged XJ. Finally joined.

Default Hi. I used to live near an exo-caged XJ. Finally joined.

Man, that thing was epic. No doors, huge tires, the guy was always in the garage bending up something. He lived on the corner of 47th Ave & Gelding, near 51st Ave & Thunderbird. Pretty sure he had a decal for this place on the truck somewhere and that was first I'd heard of Higher Ground.

This morning, I found myself Googling around in search of adventure and came across a "Manmping 2010" trip report. Couldn't. Stop. Reading. (Turned down the awesome on my speakers, though, as I'm supposed to be working.) Next thing I knew, I was reading about a tunnel and flash flood on Highway 70. That's it. I'm registering.

Name's Brian. I drive this little turd.

Shady f*ckers stole the roof rack a while ago, but it's otherwise exactly the same as last year when that picture was taken. It's an 89 Raider, aka: Pajero. 2.6L and 100bhp of carburetted fury. Pretty much stock, 200k on the odo, smokes a bit when cold, runs-on when I shut it off hot, barely does 45mph up hills on the highway (floored in 3rd or 4th), and makes me feel like I can do anything.

Haven't had much time to get out with it in the nearly two years since I bought it - "economic recovery," two jobs, and a 1-year old daughter being what they are - but have done Table Mesa east of I-17 and Crown King. It's mostly stock, save a nice set of "Aussie crawler gears" which really make a difference; I think that's something like a 2.85:1 4L and a 45% reduction or something, but I'm not entirely sure. Just know I like the way they work on the trail.

Not really into the overly technical, King of the Hammers stuff, but I respect it. I'm more a where does this trail go kinda guy. I want to get out there more and see what my truck can really do - and still get me to work in the morning. I'll probably pick up a little air compressor and some recovery gear this summer, but otherwise, my long term mod plan includes a RHD Delica Star Wagon in 2015, so I'm leaving Rocinante the Fun Cooker as-is for the time being.

My efforts with Gearbox Magazine keep me spread pretty thin, forums-wise, but I always subscribe to threads, so I can usually get back to conversations pretty quick. I live & die by my inbox. Looking forward to further inspiration from this group.

Welcome to the club!
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

Thanks!

What's up and welcome.
    I reckon the XJ could be the one and only Geoff (Showboat).

Thanks for letting you know how you found us too. A lot of us still use our vehicles as daily driver's. Hope to see you around.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Welcome Brian! Gotta say, best intro thread I've ever seen a new guy post. I'm with ya in the "where does this trail go" boat and still drive it to work the next day. Although, the hardcore KOH stuff gets me goin, I just can't afford it lol. Hope you stick around and post up! Love your rig.

Howdy howdy and welcome!

KOH guys. Pfft.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Howdy. I think your referring to my xj. It was the corner of 49 and evans. Welcome to the club. I'd say stop by but I've since moved to my new compound. If you got any questions post up were all here to help out.
    .,=======o00o
    //___l__|_,\___\,___
    l_---\__|___l---[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)_____(o)_)--o-)_)__

RIP MOM I LOVE YOU 1/16/1950 - 5/30/08

Welcome
    <><

No plan B.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger except for bears, bears will kill you.

#Ibelieve

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone. Apologies for not getting back sooner. Like I said, I live and die by my inbox, and this is a case of Spam Folder's Revenge. For what? Maybe being endlessly subjected to illiterate and gratuitous linkbait phishing. I dunno.

Nice to finally put a name to that XJ, even if you have moved on to a new, secret evil base. Can't tell you how many times I wanted to just walk around the corner and say hi, but there's always some reason why I gotta just get home or get out to whatever and back. I often marvel at the irony of knowing more people in England, Germany, or Australia than I do on my own block.

Anyway, thanks again for the warm welcome. Hope to cross paths with some of you guys in the future. I'll be around.