Thread: Elk hunt 2013 aka Chris owes me $10

Default Elk hunt 2013 aka Chris owes me $10

Headed up to FR91 off the 300. Set up camp Wed night and looked for elk till about 3 on Thurs. Didnt see anything other than lots of poop. Picked my dad up in Payson on Thurs night.
    Friday Morning 5am it was on! We were in our spot about 30 min before sun up. We hiked, we sat, we waited. Nothing.
    We drove all over looking for better areas. Spent all day Friday and Sat looking for elk.
    Ran into some guys with a well built LJ. They taged out by 4pm opening day. They took pity on us and said where to find the elk.

We were there early on Sunday looking for this "land of the elk that just jump into the bed of your truck" We hiked up hills down hills and up some more hills. About 10:30 we were walking on old log road when my dad saw it. "ELK!" It was about 100 yards away and broadside to us. My Dad work quick to get it in his scope. He looked up just in time to see it slip into the trees. We chased it for about 10 min. It was gone.M

My dad packed up and headed home. He couldnt get the week off.

Monday and Tuesday I didn't see anything in the morning. In the afternoon I would see an elk run down the road or run off into the thick stuff.
    Tuesday afternoon I had an elk walk out about 50 yards away. I couldn't get a clean shot and was so focused on it I didnt see the other 3 with it till it was too late.

Wed I sent a text saying if I didnt see anything I was heading home that night.
    I didnt see anything alll morning so I headed back to camp and started to pack up. With the truck loaded I made one last pass down to the hill I had been hunting.
    At this point I wasnt thinking I would see anything so I had my shirt off, My 9mm was in the seat next to me and the 30-06 was propped up resting against the seat.
    I was rounding the corner when I saw them resting in the shade of and aspen cluster. One cow got up so I stopped the truck and slowly put it in park (left it running) I opened the door and got out. As I was getting my gun up (using the window as a rest), the other cows had started to get up. The big momma was standing broadside and started to move as soon as I had her in my sights. I pulled the trigger and she took off up the hill.
    I knew I had hit her I just wasnt sure it was a kill shot. I threw on the first shirt I could grab and took off after her with the 30-06. I found her up the hill after I heard her crash. She wasnt moving but she was still breathing. I ran back down to the truck and got the 9mm. I put her down with a point blank shot to the head.

I got my elk. Only one problem... How do I get it in the truck?

I shot the elk at about 2 pm. It took me about an hour to get to the road (my arms still hurt) and then I started gutting her. It went to hell after that. I didnt have a saw for the breast plate. So now I had a 1/2 cut elk that I cant get into my truck.
    I toss a tarp over her and run up to the main road looking for help. I must have been the only hunter left on the hill. No one was around. I sent a text to my dad asking for ideas. He jumped in the car and started to drive up. About that time (5:40pm) A guy was driving by and I asked for help. Told him about my situation and that I was a stupid new guy... He and his hunting buddy had me follow them back to their camp to grab the Arctic Cat and some gear. I jumped in and we headed off to get my elk. When we got to the area the older guy looks around and ask "Isnt this where we see all the bears?" Yeah... We were knee deep in bear country gutting an elk after dark.
    They showed me what I needed to do and help me get it loaded in the truck.
    I drove it over to a meat truck and it came in just over 300lbs skinned.

I got my elk.

I had a great time with my dad and wish I could have got him one as well.

Truck shot

My dad didnt have a beard so I loaned him my back up.

Sorry for the bad shot but I wants going to move the elk again

Last edited by fatbob309; 10-24-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

hah great story Bob! $10 and a shot of whiskey on me!
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Awesome!!!!!
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Love it! Congrats man. In reference to Turkey Creek, what hill were you hunting on??

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    Love it! Congrats man. In reference to Turkey Creek, what hill were you hunting on??
    If you were on the 91 it would be a mile in from the 115. Then 1.5 miles north.

Awesome story man!!

My wife: "He shot it shirtless? That is SUCH bad ass!"
    Greg the mech: "They were probably all gathered by the road to laugh and wave bye since they knew he was finally leaving. He sure showed them"
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Default Fantastic!

Fantastic! I was really worried when you mentioned that you were out all by yourself for most of the hunt. The cool thing is that you had an opportunity to learn something along the way!

1. Need a metal frame to pack quarters out.
    2. Need at least 5 Big Game dressing bags. One for each quarter, and one for misc meat you can trim off. Some can go into the bag holding a front quarter.
    3. If you don't have a buddy or a winch, get some rope and a pulley. This can help you get the animal off the ground, or at least flip it to butcher the other side.
    4. Don't bother gutting. Skin, quarter, and trim. A Havalon blade and a good big fixed blade knife makes easy work of this.
    5. If you can't pack it out in one trip (because you're short some hunting buddies) hang the game bags in a tree and in the shade. Keep it cool. It will keep for hours, especially when the sun goes down.
    6. Always try to figure out a truck in route.
    7. Next year, we're going to add a Come Along to our inventory. This will make pulling an elk into the back of a truck pretty easy.

You know, I'm kinda pissed that I didn't take more pictures. Geez, I had 7 in my hunt party, too!
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchance View Post
    Fantastic! I was really worried when you mentioned that you were out all by yourself for most of the hunt. The cool thing is that you had an opportunity to learn something along the way!

1. Need a metal frame to pack quarters out.
    2. Need at least 5 Big Game dressing bags. One for each quarter, and one for misc meat you can trim off. Some can go into the bag holding a front quarter.
    3. If you don't have a buddy or a winch, get some rope and a pulley. This can help you get the animal off the ground, or at least flip it to butcher the other side.
    4. Don't bother gutting. Skin, quarter, and trim. A Havalon blade and a good big fixed blade knife makes easy work of this.
    5. If you can't pack it out in one trip (because you're short some hunting buddies) hang the game bags in a tree and in the shade. Keep it cool. It will keep for hours, especially when the sun goes down.
    6. Always try to figure out a truck in route.
    7. Next year, we're going to add a Come Along to our inventory. This will make pulling an elk into the back of a truck pretty easy.

You know, I'm kinda pissed that I didn't take more pictures. Geez, I had 7 in my hunt party, too!

1.Im going to stick to "road" hunting
    2. got it covered
    3. Will make sure to have that covered next time
    4.Have the Havalon. Best knife ever! Also had a few back up knives
    5.Have seen that done and have been told to pee around the tree.
    6. Yes yes yes
    7. It doesnt make it any better...

Awesome story. Good kill, I guess you're bringing elk sausage to the Christmas party.