Thread: Looking for 2 or 3 hunting partners for a Texas Feral Hog hunt.

Default Looking for 2 or 3 hunting partners for a Texas Feral Hog hunt.

After two attempts at trying to find feral hogs in AZ, I have pretty much given up. They are too scarce (which is a blessing and a curse) and the only place that has them, won't allow you to hunt there.

As luck would have it, I won a monthly drawing and was awarded a 3-day Texas Hog Hunt with Wild Hog Hunts. This gets me 1 hog of any size + unlimited piglets under 50lbs. Room and board for 3 days. It sounded good until I read the fine print. There was a lot of mandatory fees.

$ 75.00 registration fee.
    $ 0.55/lb gutting, cleaning, and quartering service (min $45.00).
    $ 100.00 guide fee.

So assuming I get one 100lb hog and a 50lb piglet, the cleaning fee would be $100 for both.

That's $275 in fees.

On top of that I have my $48 out of state hunting license, $360 airfare, $120 car rental, $40 gas, and the $100 luggage cost to get my pigs home. Another $640 in costs.

Geez, that's over $900.00! Forget that!

Yet, I still have the Hog Bug nipping at me. I do want to go and I think I found a better way, if I can find some hunting partners.

http://www.2bhuntingranch.com/

This firm is out of Avery, TX. They had some good prices on the hunts and less required fees. I contacted them and this is what they told me.

The fee schedule is outdated. It's cheaper now.

1. All hogs under 100Lbs - $75.00. All hogs 100Lbs & over - $200.00 as many as you want. Wounded pigs are considered kills, so shoot them and don't let them get away.
    2. Guide service is included. No fees, but tips are appreciated.
    3. If you can gut/clean/quarter, then do it. Our service is $25/hog.
    4. Bring your camp gear and set up on our property, or use our modern cabins for $25 person per day.
    5. We are already booking for March/April 2014. A $50 deposit is req'd. Refundable if cancelled 2 weeks prior to hunt date.

You are responsible for getting out here. I suggest you fly into DFW airport. A $48.00 Out of State 5-day specialty hunt license is required.

That's a nice deal! Even better if we can get a group!

So, I'm thinking of organizing a 3 or 4 man Hog Hunt Week. A Saturday to Saturday trip. Here's my thought:

I can drive my Jeep and pull my M416 trailer full of camping gear and 4 big ass coolers full of food and drinks. The tent fits 3 cots perfectly or 4 cots comfortably. Heck, I may sleep outdoors under the stars.

It's about 2,600 miles round trip Avery, TX. At 12mpg, it's 216 galons of gas. At $3.40/gal = approx $740.00 in fuel. Split 3 ways, it's approximately $250 round trip per person. May be more or less depending on driving conditions and fuel costs at the time of fueling.

We spend Sat/Sun driving to TX, hunt Mon/Wed, relax on Thurs, drive back on Fri/Sat.

Cost breakdown:

$250.00 - gas ($185.00 if we have 4 people).
    $48.00 - Texas Non-resident 5-Day Special Hunting License (Type 157)
    $75.00 - 1 hog under 100Lbs.
    =======================
    $373.00 + incidentals and food costs ($308.00 if we have 4 people).

Add $125 if you bag a 100+Lb Hogzilla. $75.00 if you only want 2nd hog (under 100Lb). $25

Summary:

We each walk away with hogs, a fun experience, and stories to share.

I'm thinking about sometime between early March through mid-April 2014. The weather should be fantastic then. It could be shorter if we all bag our pigs in a few days, or just get tired of hunting/camping.

So I'm looking for 2 or 3 hunting buddies to join me. I have 4 cots. Or, if we had a vehicle that has better MPG than my Jeep, it would be EVEN cheaper.

So, anyone up for a hunt?
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

March 2014 is far enough away where I can bank some vacation time. Ill do my best to make it
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    March 2014 is far enough away where I can bank some vacation time. Ill do my best to make it
    It would be a good time to take your DPMS .308 and put it to use.
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.