Page 12 of 33 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Gun Photo of the Day (and then Jimmy has to guess what it is)

Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  37.0 KB
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Name:  bbb.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  41.9 KB
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Ah... This monster is the Dillon Aero, made by Dillon Precision of Scottsdale, AZ. When I first saw this I told Mike Dillon that the "AERO" was not a suitable name. It should be called the Big Chubby. I get one every time I see this sucker in action. First, some history.

The original gatling gun was created by Richard Gatling in the 1860s. It had a long gravity fed magazine and was operated by a hand crank. Later model featured drum magazine that was spring driven, but still worked primarily on gravity.

Name:  GatlingGun.jpg
Views: 921
Size:  88.1 KB

General Electric made the first Gatling gun that worked with an electric motor instead of a hand crank, and fed ammunition via a linked belt. The caliber was a staggering 20mm called the M61 Vulcan. It was fed via pneumatic and hydraulics and featured air cooled barrels. Air cooled the obvious choice as these were intended to be mounted on fixed winged aircrafts from from the mid 1950s to present day.

Name:  m61pod.jpg
Views: 681
Size:  45.4 KB

As awesome as this was (6,000 rounds per minute awesome), it did have it's problems. In 1963, GE revisited the design and created a smaller version for smaller utility vehicles and boats. The M134 was born. It was a six barrel semi-portable electric gatling gun that has a fire rate speed controller that adjusted the speeds from 2000 to 6000 rounds per minute. The slower fire speed reduced frequency of of jamming and gave foot soldiers, tanks, and helicopters a real advantage. Chambered in 7.62x51 NATO his was dubbed the "mini-gun" because it was quite a bit smaller than it's big brother, the M61 Vulcan.

Although the GE Minigun is still used today, there are not "that many" in service. The main reason was GE (which was purchased by General Dynamics) stopped offering the M134. Those that were still in service suffer by the lack of spare parts. Some companies tried to make parts from GE's original blueprints but all attempts were quite failing and eventually they were dropped from service.

In 1990 Mike Dillon of Dillon Precision purchased a large inventory of miniguns from various foreign sources. He tried to piece them together and sell them. All of them were essentially worn out and they did have a looming reputation of having failure problems. Dillon decided to reinvent the wheel. He redesigned the feeder/delinker mechanism, slowed the rate of fire to 3,000 RPM and, being the genius that he was, corrected the design and made the firearm virtually Jam-Proof. In the redesign, the firearm actually got lighter, too! It went from a 60LB gun to a 40LB gun, thanks to the use of titanium instead of steel.

Word got out and by 1997, orders were rolling in from all parts of the world. The new gatling gun was dubbed the M134D. D for Dillon. The titanium version is called the M134D-T. Or I like to call it the "Big Chubby". By the way, in 2008 Dillon Precision has made the M134D available for civilian market to purchase. Granted, you need a special Class 3 license, be a super wealthy person to afford the $ 90,000 price tag, and poop bars of gold to afford the ammo. At 3,000 round per minute a 3 second burst will set you back $150.00. You're looking at $2,400 every minute. With a service life of 1M rounds, you would have dropped $800,000.00 feeding this monster!

Too bad I didn't win the $400M powerball last week.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    Name:  aaa.jpg
Views: 932
Size:  37.0 KB
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

Boy, you don't see much reference to this gun anymore! This is the APS underwater assault rifle. Fashioned after the AK-47, this gun fired "darts" underwater. Much like a diver's spear gun, the projectile needed to be longer than a traditional bullet.

To make this magic happen, the stuck 5.56 diameter steel bolt in place of the bullet. There is no rifling i the barrel. Instead, it relied on the hydrodynamic of the water to keep the steel bolt flying (or swimming) straight. Thus, the rifle was useless out of water.

It utilized a 26 round magazine and was quite popular during the Cold War. Used primarily for soviet frogmen, protecting their submarines when docked or in station. It wasn't so much for shooting a person, as it was for shooting their armor and air tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    Name:  bbb.jpg
Views: 647
Size:  41.9 KB
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 08-11-2013 at 09:45 PM.

shooting

Name:  M2008_Tightbore_308_Finished.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  149.1 KB
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Name:  custom-fs-2000-left.jpg
Views: 816
Size:  16.6 KB
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

shooting

Name:  joomy.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  139.3 KB
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

I assume this pic is about the little gun under the rifle?

It is a ZiP gun! It's manufactured by USFA and is a funny little pistol. The coolest thing about this gun is that it's very modular and will accept factory Ruger 10/22 magazines.

It's something that is cool, but I'm not sure if I would own one. It's cheap, though. It can be had for $199.00.

Quote Originally Posted by Skatchkins View Post
    Name:  joomy.jpg
Views: 1603
Size:  139.3 KB
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 08-28-2013 at 08:02 PM.

shooting

Name:  9661824306_62d7a0d0a9_b.jpg
Views: 729
Size:  399.0 KB
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

This is a nice rifle. It's a custom built rifle using a Badger Ordnance M2008 bolt action receiver and an Accuracy International Chassis System (AICS folding stock). Most of the accessories are from Badger Ordnance. The front rail is their EFR (embedded front rail). It's modular and works best with mounting a night vision adaptor in front of your scope. Bipod is a Harris bipod with an extended lever for rifle cant. The muzzle break is also from Badger. It's their FTE removable muzzle break.

The scope is a mystery to me. It looks like a U.S. Optics SN-3 3.8-22x44mm scope, but the flip switch box behind the knobs elude me. No clue.

That there boys, is at lease a $3500 rifle, as configured. Should be a tack driver!

Quote Originally Posted by Skatchkins View Post
    Name:  M2008_Tightbore_308_Finished.jpg
Views: 1843
Size:  149.1 KB
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 09-08-2013 at 09:38 PM.