Page 1 of 8 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2013 King of the Hammer / Everyman Challenge ~ Feb 7, 2013

Default 2013 King of the Hammer / Everyman Challenge ~ Feb 7, 2013

Time for round two!

We will be participating in the 2013 Smittybilt Everyman Challenge again this year! After a successful 2012 season and Dirt Riot experience under our belts, I expect KOH week to be incredible.

Dave Cole and the group at HammerKing productions have changed it up a bit this year (for the better in my opinion) and our race is the day before the big race.

Here are the details:

KOH Week February 1st-9th, 2013

February 3rd, 2013 – King of the Motos
    February 4th, 2013 - King of the Trimmers
    February 5th, 2013 – 4 Wheel Parts Qualifying Rounds (including LCQ)
    February 6th, 2013 – 4 Wheel Parts Qualifying Rounds (including LCQ)
    February 7th, 2013 – Smittybilt Every Man Challenge and KOH UTV Race
    February 8th, 2013 – 2013 Griffin King of The Hammers

The location is Johnson Valley, CA on Means Dry Lake Bed (Hammertown), just like last year.

#4511 HigherGround4x4.com Race team:

Driver - Alan (alanzona)
    Co-Driver - Geoff (showboat)
    Photography - Michael (we'll get a media access this year) (Skatchkins)
    Video - Chris (offroadaz)
    Pit Crew - Bob (of Sparkle Motion fame) (fatbob309)
    Pit Crew - Daniel (Avis)
    Pit Crew - Matt (sweat hog)
    Pit Crew - James (Cecil)
    Pit Crew - Paul (Sc00by)
    Pit Crew - Jimmy (2ndchance)

Prep team (not attending, but helping):

(as you post up in this thread that you're attending, I'll update this post)

A few items to note: Feb 4th is the King of the Trimmers race. Click HERE for more Team Sparkle Motion information, but we were invited to participate by Will Gentile and the group involved. Bob McNeeley is the driver of record.

The EMC race is the night before the main KOH race. The UTV's will be running with us also. It's going to be a jam packed day of racing, similar to Dirt Riot with all the classes. The rest of the LetzRoll Offroad crews will be supporting us in the pits, like last year, along with the AZ Undertakers. Andrew has three cars running this time: us, Shawn (stock class), and Matt Salyers (Sally) is an additional entry for LetzRoll in the stock class. We're going to return the favor on Friday and help pit for the #4493 and Andrew/Matt as they kick butt.

Travel Schedule:

I have already requested off for the entire Sun - Sat week and will be heading to Johnson Valley on Sunday, Feb 3rd, early. (King of the Trimmers is on that Monday the 4th and I want to pre-run this year on Tues/Wed and mark up the course on the GPS.) I have not spoken to Geoff yet, but ideally, I would like for him to bring his RV and his XJ (for pre-running with a group of 4 plus night wheeling) and I will drive my Suburban and tow the race jeep and the race mower. I will be returning on Saturday, the 9th.

As others who may not be able to take off the full week make plans, I would suggest at least taking off Wed/Thurs/Fri - leaving early on Wednesday, help prep the car, and be there for the race on Thursday. Since you're already off, stay for Friday and return Saturday with the whole team. We'll camp, RV, sleep in the Suburban, whatever... there is always room for friends.

"Hammertown" is now officially a location on Google Maps: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ll...85308&t=p&z=13

Click that link and put in your start location for a custom route to Hammertown!

Here is the extended weather forecast: http://www.wrh.noaa.gov/sgx/display_...GX&zone=CAZ060
    Last edited by alanzona; 01-29-2013 at 10:18 AM.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

I am planning on being there, and at worst case will head up early Wednesday, but would like to be there before that for the KOT race on Monday. I"ll bring up my truck to use as a chase truck/toy/whatever.
    Last edited by Avis; 10-18-2012 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    I am planning on being there, and at worst case will head up early Wednesday, but would like to be there before that for the KOT race on Monday. I"ll be bring up my truck to use as a chase truck/toy/whatever.
    Awesome. We'll assign you to a specific pit since you have the truck and put you in charge of that pit (tarp, gas, tires, tools, water, dancing girls, etc...) to ensure we're set. Would you be comfortable with Pit 1? Part of my budget, this year, is race radios, so we can all be in contact.
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Quote Originally Posted by alanzona View Post
    Awesome. We'll assign you to a specific pit since you have the truck and put you in charge of that pit (tarp, gas, tires, tools, water, dancing girls, etc...) to ensure we're set. Would you be comfortable with Pit 1? Part of my budget, this year, is race radios, so we can all be in contact.
    Absolutely. Will do/go whatever/wherever I need to make sure we win this thing!

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    Absolutely. Will do/go whatever/wherever I need to make sure we win this thing!
    That's the spirit!

in. I'll plan to be there the whole week. May need to get internet connection at some point during the week for work, but plenty of time to figure that out.

edit: I don't have a truck, but I know how to rotate a tire.
    Last edited by sweathog; 10-18-2012 at 02:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sweathog View Post
    in. I'll plan to be there the whole week. May need to get internet connection at some point during the week for work, but plenty of time to figure that out.

edit: I don't have a truck, but I know how to rotate a tire.
    I will have my truck.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

I only use 3 actual tires most of the time, so your rotating skills will come in handy.

I'm a newbie to the forum so I hope my suggestion is not to bold. I definitely think reliable communications are important for the best outcome and safety. CB will not cut it in Johnson Valley or most other places. Race radios on VHF land use frequencies are best. The transmissions can travel greater distances especially when using mobile base station units with 50w of power. Most, if not all, serious race team use them for communications with pits, team members, chase and, if necessary, race organizers. The cool thing is LetzRoll can even get their own designated VHF frequency.

I have some experience with these and use a race radio myself with the group I normally wheel with. They are much more reliable and clearer than CB. I suggest taking a look at the Rugged Radio website for package details. They are veterans of desert racing, KOH, etc.. and will most certainly be a vendor at most big races so they can help with any technical issues. Let me know if you have any further questions. Happy to help if I can.
    Mark
    97 Jeep TJ

Great feedback! Rugged is actually a sponsor of the team now and who we will be getting our radios from via/LetzRoll. We'll all be in our own race channel and stay off the Undertakers channel this year.

Come to JV with us! You can be in camp or be a part of the pit crew. We'd love to have you... We may put you and Jimmy in charge of communications!