Thread: M416(B1?) - Project Update

Default M416(B1?) - Project Update

I recently joined the site after purchasing an M416 trailer for use with our 2011 Jeep Wrangler. You can read a little more about it in my forum introduction here.

Below is one picture of it but more can be seen here.

My main concern with the trailer was the underneath. User 2ndChance offered his help and came by and said the shocks and leaf springs should be replaced. I ordered all the parts, including wheel bearings, just in case. The leaf springs were considered "new old stock" but for $52 each I took a chance on them. We spent all day yesterday from 9 am to 6 pm replacing all of it. We only inspected one of the wheel bearings and they looked fine so those were not replaced. Some of the bolts were rusted on and eventually broke off. The leaf springs looked like they took a lot of weight at some point because of the brackets were splitting at the edges. The shocks were also dented and no longer worked properly.

I owe 2ndChance big time for all of this hard work.

Here is a picture of the "new old stock" springs on the left (which appear to be a little different) and the original we removed on the right:

I mentioned to 2ndChance how the rim I bought for my spare tire (an official M416 rim) looked different from those on my trailer. He mentioned because of the rims (which have the larger holes), the side-mounted fuel tanks and lifting rings it was likely a B1 variant used by the Marines which only 2000 were ever built. My title says the trailer is a 1965 Stevens but I'm not sure if the B1 was made that year so I can't confirm it but it seems like a possibility.

Here are the things I still need to do to it (in no particular order):

1. Spray the underside with a rust preventive coating. The underneath is not that bad but I still want to do it eventually.
    2. Have a spare tire mount fabricated for the tongue.
    3. Paint the tan area to match our Jeep (Orange/Mango Tango). This is not final, I have also considered doing a olive drab for the tan area.
    4. Get a new rear light bracket so they are even (the previous owner used the same bracket for both sides so one is higher than the other).
    5. Move the license plate where it is not so close to the ground. I don't have any pictures of it but it hangs below the lower tail light and is free-moving. I would like to just add it to the center with an LED light.

I'll post updated pictures once it is painted.
    Last edited by RobertWard; 09-25-2012 at 02:26 PM.

Very cool! Can't wait to see it finished. I love these old trailers.

Yeah, during the initial process I found a few things that make me believe that this is a M416B1.

Particularly, the spacers on the wheels. These don't look like aftermarket spacers, since they have forged part numbers on them and retainers that hold them to the lugs.

Also, the jerry can bracket look to be stamped out and bent from a solid sheet Unlike the mod made by Bill Hollinger, where the mounts were fabricated from a 8" X 3" X 1/4" rectangular tube, then cut to 5".

This picture below is from a fabricated bracket.

Notice the weld seam. This trailer's brackets didn't have the weld seam and looked thinner than 1/4" steel. Also, you can't see it in the picture, but above the jerry can mount is a 1.5" loop for the straps. They are welded onto the tub. Those look original, too. I found this picture on ExpeditionPortal of another M416B1 that was restored. You can clearly see the strap loop on this image.

I am fairly certain this is a M416B1. Another unicorn! Only one of 2000 made! Woot!
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 09-30-2012 at 05:52 PM.
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

Fantastic write up. Thanks for sharing!
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Default Confirmed!

Well, it's confirmed. After consulting Bill Hollinger (the closest thing to an expert on 1/4 ton military trailers) he confirms that this is indeed a 1965 Stevens M416-B1. He even identified that it was built sometime in late October or early November 1965. So jealous!!!!

Robert, I know you don't plan on a full restoration. Hopefully, you would, at least, install the gamma goat lights to make it back to military looks. Those Harbor Freight lights are doing it no justice.

2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

Agreed, but I'll probably wait until right before I have it painted to do the lights.

Wow! Very sweet!
    James
    '06 LJ Bashmobile

I used the trailer for the first time this past weekend. I'm definitely going to re-wire the trailer as you suggested. When I have the headlights on in my Jeep, the trailer lights are also on however when I use the brakes/turn signals, they go out... doh! I also noticed a tire wobble on one side so I may have a bent rim (it was there before we did the work).