Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Feral Pigs

Default May take a chance on an Out of State feral pig hunt

Chris and I are about to take a 2nd poke at feral pigs in Camp Verde. We're heading up on Sunday, April 7th. I don't have high hopes as there has not been much chatter about feral pigs in Camp Verde for over a year. Because of this I started to research surrounding areas.

Iíve been researching other hunt areas for the elusive feral pigs and have been drawn to California, New Mexico and Texas. I may plan a trip to southern San Antonio and try to bag a 300lb+ pig there.

Pigs do not recognize state lines, so it is fair to assume that California pigs will wander into AZ. Research as lead me to Havasu National Wildlife Refuge. There is video of pigs caught on hunting trail cameras. Not sure if they are real, as they look like scruffy farm pigs.

No permit is required to hunt at Havasu NWR but another web site shows that they currently do not allow feral pig hunts at the refuge.

http://www.huntwildpig.com/state-spe...a-pig-hunting/

I have the area mapped on Google Maps. The link above references the Topock Marsh, which has road access. I sent an email to the person in charge with the refuge. Letís see what the response is. This may be a good place to try next time. Itís a 4 hour drive, so itís best reserved for a two or three day hunt.

Look at this site and map.

http://128.192.20.53/nfsms/

They track feral pig activity. Notice the SE tip of Arizona. Their map doesnít zoom in very far. I went to google maps and pulled up the same area. There is a road that will take us right to the New Mexico state line.

We can hunt there, too. No license or tag required. This is a 5.5 hour drive from Glendale. Also a 2-3 day weekend hunt.

Of the videos Iíve seen, we may be in for a fight, no matter which state we travel to. NM does NOT have a magazine capacity restriction and the use of ďanyĒ centerfire rifle is valid, including ARs and AKs. Iím contacting them regarding the use of a suppressor.

Texas also does NOT have a magazine capacity restriction, also allows ďanyĒ centerfire rifle, AND has recently allowed the use of suppressors.

A WPA (wildlife management area) permit is suggested and is valid in 51 WMA's in the state. $48 annually, and we can hunt in some nice places without the need of paying crazy $$ for guide service. WPA's have an abundance of animals.

Recap out of state info:

**Arizona**
    Resident License: None needed
    Resident Tag Fee: No Tag Required
    Limit: No Limit
    Season: Unregulated
    Magazine capacity: NONE
    Use of a suppressor: LEGAL (if you legally obtained it)
    Use of a machine gun: LEGAL (if you legally obtained it)
    Use of a plasma cannon: LEGAL (if you legally obtained it)
    Use of a grenade launcher: LEGAL (if you legally obtained it)
    Per AZG&F, "BY ANY MEANS"

**New Mexico**
    Non-Resident License: None needed
    Non-Resident Tag Fee: No Tag Required
    Use of a suppressor: Undetermined

**Texas**
    Hunting license is required.
    Non-Residence 5-day Special Hunting license is $48 (Type 157).
    Non-Resident Tag Fee: No Tag Required
    Use of a suppressor: LEGAL (if you legally obtained it)

I found this online today. It's a $299 Texas guided hunt. Sale ended 30mins ago, but worth reading. http://www.hoghuntinghogs.com/

Wild Boar Hunt Package:

This is a 3 day, 2 night wild hog hunt package,

and includes:

* 2 hogs of any size; no trophy fees and unlimited piglets up to 50 lbs each
    * Any 2 predators or varmints per day (Bobcat, Coyote, Fox, Possum, Armadillo, Raccoon, Rabbit, Ringtail Cat, or Mountain lion. We only see a few mountain lion per year, but we want them shot on sight!)
    * Day & Night hunting sessions
    * All Meals and Drinks
    * Great Lodging

Not included:
    * Hunting license: Non Resident is $48 for adults, and $9 for minors @ Walmart
    * Hog Cleaning, gut skin and quarter. Most hogs are $45-$55, big hogs slightly more..
    * Gratuity for your staff
    * Gun Rentals and ammo are available if needed
    * Guide/Staff fee of $100/hunter. This is to be paid in cash, upon arrival <-- OUCH!
    * All non-included services are to be paid in cash only at the ranch.
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

im down for some pig hunting. sighting my new nikon scope in next weekend hopefully on my sig556 and then im good to go. then i just gotta machine a suppressor and get a tac stamp for it.
    Lost Industries
    Chris (Go Fast) Kredit - 602-616-5086
    Excellence Through Design
    Full Service Fab, Machining, and Mobile Welding

I have a few rifles to sight in, too. Let me know when you're going. I may tag along.

As for the suppressor. legally, you'll have to fill out the paperwork with BATFE to get your tax stamp first. Once the approval is in hand, you can machine it.

Default New thread about Texas Feral Pig Hunt

I started a new thread. I'm planning a Texas pig hunt for early March through mid-April 2014. I'm looking for 2 or 3 hunting buddies to join in.

Offroadaz will be trying to attend.

Anyone else? Visit thread below:

http://www.higherground4x4.com/forum...Feral-Hog-hunt