Thread: Hunting with suppressors is now LEGAL in Arizona... :)

Default Hunting with suppressors is now LEGAL in Arizona... :)

In case this discussion missed some of you, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer signed House Bill 2728 into law. This important hunting bill will allow hunters in Arizona to use lawfully-possessed suppressors (also referred to as silencers) on firearms for hunting. HB 2728 passed in the state House on February 28 by a 42 to 14 vote and in the state Senate on Tuesday by a 20 to 9 vote.

Enactment of HB 2728, introduced by state Representative David Gowan (R-30), will provide hunters the option to use legally-owned sound suppressors while hunting game.

This bill was signed into law on March 29, 2012. This modifies the previous prohibitions listed in Arizona's Game and Fish Regulations, under RT2-4-303. Unlawful Devices, Methods, and Ammunition.

Yeah! This is just one more tool I have to FINALLY get a deer this year! Prairie dogs and coyotes... beware!
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

That is awesome. What are the steps needed to acquire a suppressor? I would LOVE to have one for my glock 27...

There are two ways to go about it.

1. Personal purchase
    2. Business or "entity" purchase

Personal Purchase
    For a personal purchase, you must be 21yr or older, be legally able to purchase or possess a firearm. Visit a Class III dealer and purchase your suppressor. He will have the correct forms for you to fill out for BATFE (Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms, and Explosives). Forms are in duplicate. Once the forms are filled out, you will need to get 3 fingerprint cards. The dealer will give you 2 of them (for BATFE). You'll also need one for Arizona DPS. You will also need 3 passport photos (two for BATFE, one for DPS).

Once you get all your stuff together, visit DPS. They will have a form for you to fill out. DPS has their own fingerprint cards, so you may as well have them fingerprint you for the BATFE fingerprint cards. I recall the fee being $8.00 per card to fingerprint. Then, you submit ALL forms to DPS for LEO sign-off. This takes 10 days.

When you get your forms back, cut a $200 check to BATFE, mail in their forms, 2 passport photos, and their 2 fingerprint cards. They will do a background check and file your paperwork. This takes 90-120 days. Once you receive your approval, go back to the Class III dealer. He'll keep a copy for his records, then release the suppressor to you.

This is a slow process and the suppressor is registered to YOU. If you die and pass it on to someone else, they will have to repeat the paperwork process and pay the $200 again.

Business or "Entity" Purchase
    This option is, by far, the quickest and easiest. Since a business or entity is not a person, there cannot be any background checks or fingerprinting. The suppressor will be the property of the business or entity and it can be passed to anyone inside the business. If you don't have a business, you can file for a Family Trust or a Living Trust. Names can be added/removed as necessary. If you die, the Trust still retains ownership and anyone listed on the trust may "borrow" possession of it.

The paperwork is easier, once you've created the Trust. Buy the suppressor, show your "articles of Trust", then pay for it. The class III dealer will hold the suppressor until your approval comes back.

Take the paperwork to DPS for sign-off. The wait is about a week. Some have had it done right over the counter. No background check, no fingerprint... just the verification that the Trust is legal.

Once you get your paperwork back from DPS, send it to BATFE with the $200 check. You should get an approval back within 30 days. Since there is no fingerprint or background check, there should be no reason for them to deny you.

That's it!

Always a wealth of Information James. Thanks. Option 2 is interesting.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

club owned suppressors? hmm
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    club owned suppressors? hmm
    Aw, dude! That would be SO bad-ass!

Quieter than I thought, even after No Country For Old Men
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

I assuming you are talking about the SilencerCo shotgun suppressor. It's nuts!

Last edited by 2ndchance; 07-28-2014 at 10:32 PM.

I would vote for a club owned suppressor. :-)
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB