Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Quest for the Best Burger in AZ+

bacon Quest for the Best Burger in AZ+

So, I've been on a quest to find the best burger in Phoenix for my whole life. I figured I would make a list of places and short reviews (for mostly my own reference, but thought it'd be nice to share).

My all time favorite burger is the double bacon cheeseburger from Hodads in San Diego. We'll call this 5 star untill I think of something more clever than stars.
    Double Bacon Cheesburger

Frings

Shake

5 Guys - Bacon Cheeseburger - 4 stars - good burger

Lenny's - Bacon Double Cheeseburger with Cheddar - 4.5 stars - really good burger

Culver's - Double Bacon Butterburger - 4 stars - really good burger

Heart Attack Grill - Double Bypass - 2.5 stars. it's closed now

White Chocolate Grill - 3.5 stars - good, nothing amazing.

FatBurger - XXL with Egg, Bacon and Cheese- 3.5 stars - we go here cuz they have turkey burgers for the wife.

In-n-Out - 3 by 3 animal style - 4 stars - a really good burger with

Fat@$$ Burgers - 1.5 stars - the bun was the only good part, unless you like gray beef. I can blame Jared for this since it was a stop on the way to see him at Good Sam.

Blue Agave - Green Chili Burger - 4 stars - just a really good burger, cooked perfectly with the right amount of green chili.

Red Robin - Burnin Love Burger - 2.5 stars - looks good on paper, tastes slightly better than paper - Whiskey River Burger - 4 stars - onion straws make everything better - Royal Red Robin Burger - 4 stars - egg on a burger? delicious

Satisfied Frog - Tijuana Torpedo - 3 stars - The bun and ingredients were good, the burger meat was bla.

The Grind - Holmberg and Bob recommend it, it was great! Sweet Spicy Burger - 4 stars - To top it off, they have mini donuts with salted butterscotch to dip in (there is nothing wrong with dessert at lunch)

Chuckbox - Bacon Cheeseburger - 4 stars - The burgers are cooked over a pit so the whole place smells great! I was so hungry that I forgot to take a pic, but it looked like this except I had onion rings.

Whole Foods - Bacon Cheesburger - 2.5 PBRs - I had high expectations here with the "fresh food" atmosphere, but it failed to deliver.

Catch 22 - 22 Double Header Burger - 4 PBRs - A double stacked 1 lb. burger with ...bacon, American, Swiss cheeses, and 1000 island dressing, topped with a fried egg. It has almost all my favorites!

Rustic Cafe - Swiss and Bacon Burger - 4 Stellas - I ordered mine with Cheddar and was very impressed. Both the bacon and beef were tasty and cooked right.

Blu Burger - Angus with Cheddar and Bacon- 3 Stellas - It was ok, but again maybe I expected too much from a place that specializes in burgers.

Paradise Valley Burger Co. - Burger Brulee- 4 PBRs - I stumbled on this place in Google and am glad I did. I tried to keep simple with the bacon and cheddar but this burger was too intriguing to pass up. It has my favorites bacon, egg, and cheese but adds burnt sugar (like the top of creme brulee). Worth the chance, it was great. I almost gave it a 4.5, I still might change it. They have some interesting sides that are good too. I had sweet potato tater tots but was tempted by the carnival corn, which is grilled corn on the cob. The owner found out about our burger quest and gave us a free basket of fried french toast. That's egg bread cut into streak fry size strips lightly battered and fried then dusted with powder sugar and server with syrup. It was amazing. almost as good as the burger.

Lime Light Dipping bar and grill - Maytag - 2 PBRs - The burger meat had an odd texture, I assume it was frozen. Meals come with a dipping sauce, which sounds fun, but mine way just mayo with bacon bits in it.

Red Onion - bacon cheeseburger- 2 PBRs - Blah. worst of all it's a packers bar.

18 Degrees - 18 Degrees Burger (no mushroom)- 3.5 PBRs - This burger joint is at the Ice Den in Scottsdale, close to my work. Went on a Monday and found out they have burger specials every Monday. $3 off iirc. The burger is cooked to order and tastes great. Not a frozen hockey puck LOL. My group got a few different ones from the menu and eveyone was happy, we'll return to try more. They have a variety of sides which are good too. For entertainment you can watch the ice skaters practice if you're into that sort of thing. There is also an Over Easy attached which is a great breakfast place.

Coal Burger - Bacon Cheeseburger (no mushroom)- 3 PBRs - I was a little worried walking into this place. It's in the the Scottsdale quarter and there's a bunch of hippie words on the menu. Good news is that Hippie burger (or maybe hippie cows?) can taste just as good as regular people food. The burger was not amazing but was good. I won't rush back, but would go again if I am in the area, but that's not saying much since I'm not likely to be headed to scottsdale for a yoga class anytime soon. They do have some special Boylan's fountain soda with interesting flavors and natural sugar. I got black cherry and liked it.

Windsor - Bacon Cheeseburger Winsor Style - 5 Stellas - I met Jonathan here for a man-date. I owe him big because this is the best burger in Phoenix so far. The burger meat is delicious and cooked perfectly to order. The Bacon is phenomenal. They have a nice beer selection too. I have nothing bad to say about this, I would not do anything differently and have already sent a few people to try it for themselves. Another bonus is the attached ice cream shop that does everything homemade. It has a great old school ice cream shop feel and great flavors. They have a cool outdoor area to eat at too. A great spot for a date, maybe next time I'll bring my wife instead of a good looking salt and pepper haired guy.

Famous Dave's - Dave's Favorite Burger- 2 PBRs - I guess there is a reason I've tried to avoid chain places in this list. The burger was not good. I do like the other stuff on the menu here, but will not get a burger again.

Zinburger - Samburger - 4.5 PBRs - This burger sat on the top of the list for a short time until I discovered Windsor. It is still in the top 3 best of Phoenix. The burger was juicy and delicious and the bacon matched. The sides are just ok. I haven't tried the shakes yet, but heard they are great.

Bueno Burger - Gringo Style - 3.5 PBRs - I didn't make it to the one on the westside before it shut down, so I headed to the one in Scottsdale. It was good. The burger is messy, but that did not slow me down in devouring it. The patties are thin style and still juicy. The onion rings and whatever ranch type stuff they sell on the side were really good too/

Wolfley's - Cheesy Dream- 3 PBRs - Another place close to work, owned by a popular sports radio personality and NFL color commentator. This burger was ok, but nothing amazing.

Four Peaks - Four Peaks Cheeseburger w/Bacon- 2.5 PBRs - Nothing too memorable about this burger. Maybe if I hadn't been going back to work and had a couple brews it would have scored higher.

AZ88 - The Cheeseburger w/Bacon- 3.5 Stellas - Once again I travel outside of my comfort zone on my quest to find the best burger in PHX. I knew I was not where I belonged when I had to walk past a white statue of a lady pouring black paint on her head with classical music softly playing in the background. The things I do for a burger.... After a strange visit to the restroom behind a hidden door and a urinal surrounded by mirrors (there is only one urinal, not 5 like I thought I saw. sorry about the floor) we ordered burgers and a grilled cheese with bacon. The bacon is amazing here. The burgers are much better than I expected. I even enjoyed the odd combination of melon, radishes and carrots.

BJ's - Brewhouse double deluxe burger- 3 PBRs - This burger is big and filling. I like most of the food I've gotten from BJ's but this was the first burger. I liked it but like the other food on the menu better.
    Last edited by sweathog; 02-27-2012 at 10:01 AM.

Bob, you mentioned a couple places I still haven't tried. I remember SmashBurger. What were the others?

This thread

Good call on Llama's

I like Red Robin's Whiskey River burger

Excellent call on the Red Robin burger Mike, I also will have to agree that Smashburger is pretty dang amazing... probably as greasy as Heart Attack was.. no joke.

The grind in phx- Sweet and spicy burger So good.

32 Blue in Gilbert/Chandler- Texas Heat is a great spicy burger.

ChuckBox in tempe next to ASU. Great food cooked over coals.

Delux in phx is also great

This should get you started

X2 on chuckbox.

Have you tryed a burger from wholefoods? You can buy there and they will cook it. Its great place. Just my 2 cents
    _(o)_)_____(o)_)--o-)_)__

RIP MOM I LOVE YOU 1/16/1950 - 5/30/08

I honor your quest for the best burger, as I too,(although I've never really documented it) am always on the lookout for the best burger. If I had to choose to only eat one thing for the rest of my life, I think burgers would top my list. I see a few familiar ones on your list, and others that I will have try. I have a few that I would recommend for your taste test.

Two Hippies: on 16th St. and Indain School....a good deal at $5-6 including good season fries and a drink (hours of operation can be very inconsistant and frustating at times)

Maizies: on Central and Camelback....a gourmet burger, hallf pound angus burger on ciabatta bun and every Monday night they are only $5 plus good drink specials (normally $9.50)

Deluxe: On 32nd St. and Camelback....another gourmet burger on various types of buns boasting all natural 100% vegetarian fed beef good fries and beers on tap to compliment (don't think they have PBR, definitely an oversight on their part)

Switch: on Central and Virginia....you may be called a gorgeous hunk of man by a fellow male patron at this place but the burger is worth it. Once again a little pricey "gourmet burger" I believe half pound on brioche bun the Tejano and Cowboy burger are the best. The wedge fries are awesome as well

Sun Up Brewery: on 3rd St. and Camelback good pub burger with really good brews

Out of all of these the switch tejano burger tops my list right now but Maizies is a close second and a better deal on Monday nights and I have never been hit on at Maizies. Let me know what you think or if you would like company on your quest....you would have to do take out to be able to drink a PBR with an of the above places but I can respect that now

Is it bad that I'm excited for all the places you guys suggested? I love burgers!

Quote Originally Posted by fatbob309 View Post
    The grind in phx- Sweet and spicy burger So good.

32 Blue in Gilbert/Chandler- Texas Heat is a great spicy burger.

ChuckBox in tempe next to ASU. Great food cooked over coals.

Delux in phx is also great

This should get you started
    Thanks Bob! I've been to Deluxe, will update my list.
    The Grind is on my wall (yes, I have a list of buger places to try on my wall at work)
    ...and now 32 Blue and Chuckbox are on the list.

Quote Originally Posted by Silversides View Post
    (don't think they have PBR, definitely an oversight on their part)....
    ....you would have to do take out to be able to drink a PBR with an of the above places but I can respect that now
    LOL! PBR is not a requirement. I should start another thread on the search for the best brew (although we all know my first choice).

Quote Originally Posted by Showboat View Post

Have you tryed a burger from wholefoods? You can buy there and they will cook it. Its great place. Just my 2 cents
    Never thought of that. Wholefoods is right down the street from my office. ...added to the wall.
    Last edited by sweathog; 08-16-2011 at 12:06 PM.

Thumbs up

You need to start a burger thread, with write up and pictures, in the "been and done" section... totally worth it.
    KOH #4511 Team HigherGround4x4 / LetzRoll Offroad Racing / ESAB Welding
    Back to Back Dirt Riot Southwest Series champions 2012 & 2013 / Back to Back Dirt Riot Modified Stock National Champion 2012 & 2013

The best burger I've found in Arizona is Brown Bag Burgers in Prescott.

Google Map

Name:  BestBurger.jpg
Views: 289
Size:  93.5 KB
    Last edited by offroadaz; 08-16-2011 at 03:47 PM. Reason: fixed the dbl pic