Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Day 2 ~ Engineer Pass

COHG Day 2 ~ Engineer Pass

Day 2 was the first day on the trails, highlighted by Engineer Pass!

Post up your day 2 adventures and photos in here!

The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

With flags flying high we left for the day of adventure (including a bonus "side trail"... that's what we agreed to call it, right guys?)

Here is what we woke up to as the sun crept along the mountain behind camp and lit up all the colors...

Epic, sweeping views...

and even a trio of TJ's who were happy to be outdoor!

there were tons of little ruins and abandoned town everywhere we went...

You couldn't go 15 minutes without seeing a breath taking waterfall... and many of them still had snow at the base so it formed a little snow dome at the bottom of each waterfall.

One of my favorite legs of the day was heading into Lake City. It was just a dirt road, but the river/swollen creek running beside the road on the right, and the sheer rock walls on the left were just facinating to drive along...

Last edited by alanzona; 07-25-2011 at 06:48 PM.
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Between the video camera and setting up my phone to stream live video, my dash looked like a radio shack clearance shelf...

Of course, Ivan has his own view of things as we kept driving along perilous cliffs and steep drop offs...

Every turn brought something more magnificent...

and at times I didn't know if we were in Colorado or Ireland there was so much green.

My actual camera only lived 2 days before it died from all the dust, but I mostly turned Ivan loose with it. He did a great job of getting everyone coming up switchbacks...

Team Yellowsub

Lenny's mean mean green machine

The Matt Mobile (sponsored by PBR)

Paul and Scott rockin' the radio towers...

Chris and Jared making is past the gas station parking lot (and really kickin' butt on the trails to tell the truth... it was great to see both of them and Chris' rig out and getting dirty!)

The "X" was the rabbit we chased most of the week...

And some of the snow banks were close enough we could reach out, grab a snowball, and throw it behind us if we were fast enough!

The colors were just amazing... even my crappy camera can give you sense of the textures of the light, the surfaces, and the scope of things to see.

Last edited by Skatchkins; 07-25-2011 at 05:42 PM.

Water was everywhere... some even mysteriously fell from the sky while we were there. I had to explain it to Ivan...

and the greens kept amazing us all after living in the desert for so long...

The snow pockets peppered the mountain side like strange sand traps at a high end golf course...

So we put our sweet golf carts in 4LO and drove our way through paradise... this is how I remember Engineer Pass.

From our bonus trip early in the day.

jeep

You people have been chosen to reveal our existence to the world. You will witness what happens here today, and you will tell of it later.
    Well you already know how it started
    Woke up with some leftover rain

Then we followed the directions to the 110 but that gave us the bonus trail that led us up to what we found later to be the split between California Gulch and Pougkeepsie.

We should have ignored the private land sign and continued into Animas Forks but that spooked the leader and we drove back down into town and then on CO Rd 2 that was a direct easy road to Animas Forks. We began on this side since we were closer to Silverton than Ouray.

We began Engineer Pass just above the ghost town

Netting keeping in a weeks worth of gear

It's not too long to the pass this way

Yay flags

They paid in advance for the Father/son Colorado photo package deal

Wranglers only

There's two kinds of people in this world when you boil it all down. You got your talkers and you got your doers. Most people are just talkers, all they do is talk. But when it is all said and done, it's the doers that change this world. And when they do that, they change us, and that's why we never forget them. So which one are you? Do you just talk about it, or do you stand up and do something about it? Because believe you me, all the rest of it is just coffee house and bullshit.

Yeah

I've got plenty more sweeping views on Engineer Pass I can look through later

Chauncy, that Bob guy found us

Thanks for comin' out
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 07-27-2011 at 09:37 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

COHG

(If you aren't on high speed and want to watch it in HD, pause the video at the start and let it buffer...)

Thumbs up

Nice Alan! I owe you some more photos since the X made so much of the video
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

I think these are the right day

Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.