Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1st time Prairie Dog Hunt (Seligman, AZ)

Default 1st time Prairie Dog Hunt (Seligman, AZ)

If I stand here long enough, a prairie dog is bound to stick its head up! -Jack

Last night, my buddy Jack and I took a morning trip to Seligman AZ to try prairie dog hunting for the first time.

We drove up Saturday night and stayed at the Canyon Lodge Motel in Seligman. It's an older motel (like most on Route 66) but renovated several years ago. It still has a nostalgic feel to it and some rooms are "themed".

The area worth hunting is on old Route 66, just 17.5 miles north of Seligman, AZ (technically, this area is Williams, AZ but everyone considers it Seligman). You can hunt both sides of Route 66 and it's prime for Prairie Dogs. However, the North side (right side) is on Pica Camp Ranch.

Pica Camp Ranch has an agreement with AZ Game & Fish and the Indian community to use the land for livestock, agriculture and hunting. To hunt here, you have to drive up to the ranch and sign in. A valid hunting license is required to hunt. Note: It's farm land and cattle is all around. Don't shoot the livestock and if you open a gate to cross, remember to CLOSE THE GATE.

Pica Camp Ranch is about 3 miles north on Pica Camp Rd.
    The coordinates are +35 29' 13.70", -113 5' 2.09"

The south side of Route 66 is county land, so no sign-in is required. To access this area, you need to drive up Route 66 a little further (1/4 mile) and go south on Pica Camp Rd. I suggest going past the railroad tracks and shoot towards the mountians.

A rifle shooting 22LR is plenty firepower for most hunts. Since we entered mid-July, the doggies were already spooked. We knew that our shots will be out past 200 yards. We brought our AR-15s.

My first Prairie Dog hunt we ran into a little unexpected trouble. We were in such a rush to pack, we forgot an important hunting component... the magazines to our AR-15s. Since we were late in the season, the doggies were pretty spooked and they ran when they saw us coming.

Solution:

I found a spot that gave us the best advantage. High Ground. We went prone and found an area target area that was fairly flat and had a clearing that reached out to 500 yards.

Since we we had no magazines, ee ended up having to hand feed each round into the chamber. Therefore, we only had a One Shot Opportunity for each doggie. Every shot had to be precise. We ran a ballistics program on Jack's Android phone and ranged the distance with a Leupold laser range finder.

The area we chose had a lot of doggie burms. Most were right around 245 yards. We waited patiently for the first doggie to pop his unsuspecting head up and... the hunt began. For the next 2 hours, we sat there and fired 23 rounds.

Luckily, the rumors were true. Prairie Dogs are stupid. You can shoot at them, miss, and they'll stand around trying to figure out what just happened! More doggies will come over to see what happened. If you shoot one, other will stand around trying to figure out what happened to their friend! LOL. We had some 2nd and 3rd shot opportunities. We were facing 9-15mph winds and it kept changing. We could not adapt quick enough so there were a lot of wasted shots. At the end, we claimed 4 doggie. Post mortem pics left out intentionally.

Source: http://www.have-fun-in-the-southwest.com

Note: Prairie Dogs are known to be vectors (carriers) of the bubonic plague and other serious diseases. They come from infected ticks. Don't handle them. Leave them for the vultures. Vultures have strong stomach acids, which protect them from such things, as well all the other gross stuff in the rotten meat they eat.

As noon approached, the heat started to get to us. Hunger was also telling us to get the heck out. As we went back to my Jeep, we ran into our 2nd unexpected trouble. Flying Ants! They were everywhere! The swarmed the Jeep, swarmed Jack, and they were not all that friendly. They kept landing on us and would NOT get off! Luckily, I had a bottle of bug repellent. I quickly sprayed the both of us and they slowly went away. Note to self: Use the spray BEFORE heading out to hunt.

Not a few minutes after that, our 3rd unexpected trouble found us. Bees. The bug repellent didn't work on them, they swarmed around us, but they didn't attack. We cautiously moved towards the Jeep and carefully made our way in. Two followed us, but we quickly dealt with them... with a smack from my camo hat.

The day ended with a trip back to Seligman, lunch at Roadkill Cafe, and some shutterbug activity.

NOTE: Roadkill Cafe is NOT firearm friendly. Their giant burger is expensive and NOT that tasty. I won't be returning.

Last edited by 2ndchance; 07-17-2011 at 08:21 PM.
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

hah I like Jacks method of hunting!

sounds like you had a great time
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Its better not to see them being made.

When I worked for the state doing radio tower work, we used to go to Juniper ridge up there and coming across the flats
    there was a big prairie dog colony and we'd bring our mini-14s and CAR 15's and pop a few. Brings back memories.
    Bill W

K7ANT
    God Bless the Sheep Dogs of America!
    97 Jeep TJ with a few mods. 106" WB Ford HP 44/D44,Locked and 37" MTRs

It was fun. I already scheduled myself for 2012. I have a 3-day weekend in the last week of May. I'm going to bring my new AR-10 .308 just for giggles and try to send one flying at 500 yards.

Well, my weekend got ruined. I was planning on heading up with Michael and doing a little camping but the wife pulled me in another direction. Then she did another 180 and planned a Slide Rock trip with us, her brothers and sisters, and their kids. Slide Rock??? On a holiday weekend??? That's crazy! Too many people on a small stretch of slippery rocks. Screw that!

I'm ditching everyone and getting some alone time. Me, my rifle, and possibly the last prairie dog hunt of the season.

I'm heading off alone and going back to the same area near the Ranch. If I'm not back by mid-Monday... send a rescue squad after me. I've probably been eaten stung to death by the flying ants, bees, and my dead carcass is getting nibbled on by the big black birds and vultures!!!!

I'm back.. call off the search dogs. Fun trip! I wanted to try to find a way to get to the west side of the train tracks. There is an entrance just north of the entrance to the ranch of RT-66. Drive down the long path and go through the gate. I navigate through the livestock gates and planted myself up close to the back hills. Beyond the back hills is a residential development. Don't go back there, as you can't shoot within 1/4 mile of residences.

The highlights of the hunt was: found me a 15lb jackrabbit at first light. Later, got a 2 prairie dogs with 1 shot with my new Armalite SuperSASS .308 @ 450 yards. Oh yeah, I had to kill a badger in self defense. The sucker charged right at me!

Last edited by 2ndchance; 09-05-2011 at 10:17 PM.

welcome back

I heard badgers were afraid of snakes
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Its better not to see them being made.

Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    welcome back

I heard badgers were afraid of snakes
    Mushroom mushroom?
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skatchkins View Post
    Mushroom mushroom?
    What does this mean? I've seen this on other sites, as well?

You asked
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com