Thread: WCC - Hanging Gardens - July 4th wknd 2011

hike WCC - Hanging Gardens - July 4th wknd 2011

Silversides and my sis Yellowsub planned a trip to West Clear Creek to get some people from church involved. When it was clear none of those people would show, we figured we'd plan it for ourselves. That meant camping at probably the most beautiful place on West Clear Creek, The Hanging Gardens. Instead of dropping in at White Box like we did for Manmping 2009 and just tubing to the Gardens, we searched around for another way into the very steep creek canyon to hike all of our stuff straight down to the Gardens. We knew a route existed at some point but could find no other info other than word of mouth that there probably was one and a trip report from a guy who boasted how secret he kept the trailhead even to the point of removing all cairns and other traces. Going off just his arrogant written description of the journey, we drove out with Google Earth's help to the area we suspected may get us on track. We found some old rock disturbances and followed them to what appeared to be a foot traveled path down a steep section and then out onto a ridge. After loosing the trail for a while, Jonathan picked it up again and away we went into an odd meadow, wrapping around the other side to bushwacking and another steep descent. We finally got down to the water we could see easily from above only to find a group of 3 camped there already. The leader of their group gave us the "Who are you and how'd you find this place?" rundown reminiscent of our run-ins with overly secretive cave people. It turns out, this guy was our other source as we had met him 2 years ago on the same weekend near there, and he had told us there was a route there. I haven't confirmed whether he was also the boastful trip report writer but it wouldn't surprise me.

Anyway they were only staying one another night so we set up our tents right around the corner from them on limited space knowing we would be closer to the waterfalls after they left.

Jonathan took forever landscaping the perfect spot for his and Dana's huge tent but it looked worth it. We hung out for a while until bed time discussing our frollicking and downstream plans for Sunday. Before bed, I found a flat rock in the middle of the creek and laid there with my legs soaking, rushing water playing in stereo beside me, and all the stars you couldn't count above.

The next day, we saw our neighbors off, moved our setup and then hiked down creek with our tubes and dry sacks. If you've been there before, you know it's a rotating mixture of rockhopping, creek wading, and deep water floating. We did that for a while exploring around until we'd had enough and then returned to camp for a late lunch. We then swam around the waterfalls and Dana set out fishing. The clouds finally brought us some real rain and we retreated to our tents for about 30min then Dana resumed her fishing and Jonathan and I manned some chairs, tables, and ottomans from rock and earth. Dana ended up catching a fish for each of us for dinner, a medium rainbow and a couple small browns. We stayed up until we just about passed out tired and then tented ourselves in to fall asleep to the rush of the spring and falls; At some point it rained again briefly.

The next day we took down camp and then goofed around for a goodish amount of time in and on the water before hiking out. It was sad to leave our little spot and the cool creek to face the elevation change before us. We made it out in much better time now that we knew the route for sure. We loaded up the X and drove the hour-long horribly bumpy road out and home- after Beeline Cafe malts of course.

The trip was a great precursor to our Colorado trip. 3 days and 2 nights backpacking into beauty except in CO it will even be during the hike and not just at the end of the trail.
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 07-07-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

hike

I'll post more later. I'm going to pump myself full of advil and hit the hay.

At the top

So it gets a little steep

Camp spot one. Creek is right behind the tents.

Lots of this. 13sec with 10-stop.

Part of supper a la Tony's and butter.

Clue for internet sleuths. Triangle's camp. Line on left our Sunday creek excursion and the line coming in from top but stopping is where this guy busted his ankle and had to turn around 8-09

I didn't have a wife in my tent and was bored

Sunset on tent site 2

Morning on Michael's spread

Full packs
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 07-04-2011 at 09:56 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

nice, looked like a fun way to spend the weekend. Saw the storms on radar and briefly wondered if you got flooded out of the canyon
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

I had a great time this weekend with Mike and Jonathan. My legs are still hating me for it though!! Here are some of my pics... enjoy

Mike thinks I should open a nail salon in Louisiana specializing in this...

Crawfish head nails

Under the hanging garden

Jonathan thought he could float on my tube with me lol

That's where we just came from.... all the way down there!
    Ewes not fat ewes fluffy

Creek sunset

Thanks for dinner sis

View from my tent

Like 3 bosses

It's super cold spring water

Last edited by Skatchkins; 06-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Manstache

I missed Alan this trip. But am still proud he got to see the gardens before he went to that big hammock in the sky.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

I had a sucessfull trip to the Hanging Gardens last weekend, thanks . I wanted to say thanks f.
    It was my 1st time there, place is awesome.
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 06-05-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JOSHH View Post
    I had a sucessfull trip to the Hanging Gardens last weekend, thanks to this picture. I wanted to say thanks for taking it.
    It was my 1st time there, place is awesome.
    Very cool. Keep the drop in a secret and don't tell anyone you found that picture here.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skatchkins View Post
    Very cool. Keep the drop in a secret and don't tell anyone you found that picture here.
    No problem.

another option...

The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB