Article: Mopar Kicker 77kick10 Speaker Install on the JK (part 1)

Default Mopar Kicker 77kick10 Speaker Install on the JK (part 1)

I know there is only two JKs here, but this article may be useful. I did this write-up several months back. Since offroadaz did the Kicker sub replacement write-up, I figured this may be helpful for someone down the line.

Thanks to Jason De Monto and Travis at Airpark Jeep Dodge Chrysler in Scottsdale, I was able to pick up my new Kicker speakers for $60 a set. As I read the instructions and started my install, I noticed that the instructions were not "necessarily" correct. Also, it's darn near impossible to replace the speakers in the manner as its described.

So, I figured I would do a quick write-up and show the way I did it. It was definitely easier, I think. I had my cousin nearby to document the installs with her camera.

** Driver Side Speaker ** aka, the Beotch!

Tools Needed: 7mm, 8mm, and 10mm nut driver, T-15 Torx, T-20 Torx, 6" socked extension, philips screwdriver.
    Recommendation: Unplug the driver door and release the strap, allowing the door to swing fully out of the way. This job is faster if you have more room to move around.

Safety: Disconnect the battery.

1. Remove the dash side panel. It should come out fairly easily.

2. Remove the first panel under the steering column. Gentle pulls will work it loose.

3. Remove the second lower panel under the steering column.

4. Loosen the dash by removing the six 7mm bolt screws.

5. Remove the single 7mm bolt screw at the botton near the ECM module.

Continued on next post
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 06-29-2011 at 02:27 AM.
    2009 4-door JK - 85% daily driver, 15% hunting vehicle, 100% fun!

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

Default Mopar Kicker 77kick10 Speaker Install on the JK (part 2)

This is where my install varies from the MOPAR instructions. They say to "pull" the dash away just enough to get to the three screws that hold the speaker to the speaker tub. Yeah, good luck with that. I found it darn near impossible to get to two of them. So, I went the extra mile and removed some more stuff.

6. Remove the two 10mm nut screws circled in RED. This will remove the metal plate from the two supports.
    7. Remove the two 7mm nut screws pointed with the RED arrow. This holds the two bottom supports.
    8. Above the two supports are another two 8mm nut screws. You will need a 6" extension. I used two 3" extensions.

Now, you have more room to work.

8. Remove this 7mm nut screw, it secures the speaker box.

9. Remove the two 7mm nut screws, these also secure the speaker box.

10. The speaker box is now loose from the dash. You can pull on the dash and rotate the speaker box around to get better angles at the speaker screws. Unfortunately, you can't fully remove the speaker box (the passenger side can, though).

Reverse the process to put everything back together.

The tricky part is putting the top screws on the two support bars. Luckily, the support bars have a guide pin. Notice that there are two holes on the top of each of the support bars. The top is for the guide pin and the bottom is for the nut screw. I got them in on the first try.

Note: My speaker was held onto the speaker box with philip screws. I didn't need any Torx bits for this install.

This took 35 mins to complete.

Continues on next post

Default Mopar Kicker 77kick10 Speaker Install on the JK (part 3)

** Passenger Side Speaker **

Tools Needed: 7mm nut driver, T-15 Torx, T-20 Torx, philips screwdriver.
    Recommendation: Unplug the passenger door and release the strap, allowing the door to swing fully out of the way. This job is faster if you have more room to move around.

1. Open the glove box, squeeze the sides and allow the glove box to swing all the way out.

2. Remove the lower panel, just under the glove box, by pulling on it, or using a trim tool. It's similar to what was done on the driver side.

3. Remove the six 7mm bolt screws (note: mine only had 5).

4. Find the single one on the underside.

5. Pry off the side dash panel.

This is where mine goes differently.

6. Remove 7mm bolt screw that holds the speaker box.

(ignore the black looms, as they are from a different project)
    7. On the side, remove the other two 7mm bolt screws. The speaker box should be free now.

8. From the glove box, find the speaker connection and unplug it.

9. You should be able to twist the speaker box out though the glove box opening. You will need to pull on the speaker grill to give it a little room.

10. Remove the three screws holding in the factory speaker, unplug the connector, replace with new one and reverse the process to re-install.

Note: My speaker was held onto the speaker box with philip screws. I didn't need any Torx bits for this install.

This took me 20mins to complete.

** Soundbar Speakers **

Tools Needed: A T-15 Torx.

This was pretty simple. So simple, I'm not even going to use pictures.

The speaker & grill was attached by three T-15 Torx screws.

1. Remove the three Torx screws.

2. Lower the speaker & grill.

3. Unplug wire harness.

4. Install new speakers and reverse the process for re-install.

NOTE: Have the NEW speaker close by before starting this. There are three mounting tabs on the speaker. Notice one of them is longer than the other two. Take note of which direction this tab is and put it back in the same position.

It's not "that" important, (especially if you plan on not re-using the factory speaker grill) but the factory grill has indentations made from the original install of the factory speakers. If you put the new speaker in the same direction, it would put less stress on the grill.

Do the same for the other one.

This took 10 mins to complete both sides.

I'm confident that this method will save you some time and you won't get your arms all scratched up from trying to reach those impossible screws that hold the speaker to the speaker box. I came away without a scratch (excuse the pun).
    Last edited by 2ndchance; 06-29-2011 at 02:24 AM.