Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 36

Thread: AZ Forest Closures 2011

  1. #11
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    4,889

    Default

    Roads are generally open during the winter... you just can't access them. You''ll have to take that up with God. lol I get what your saying, but when people start losing their homes because of the dry forest being open to the irresponsible public I can't really blame them...

  2. #12
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    6,536

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    Roads are generally open during the winter... you just can't access them. You''ll have to take that up with God. lol I get what your saying, but when people start losing their homes because of the dry forest being open to the irresponsible public I can't really blame them...

    Not so much. Roads are closed due to a locked gate... I dont think God puts up gates.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

  3. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    peoria arizona
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    if we would allow logging and clearing instead of closing it off because of an endangered animal is in the area we might not have these exteme fires. where are those animals going tolive now if they survived the fire. gov must rethink some of these restrictions that they put out or it is only going to get worse. the earth is going to be here for millions of years unlike us who have expiration dates. maybe the focus should be on people rather than animals and land so we can get everything running a little better than how things are now.

    this has been approved by the committee to elect russ in 2012.
    On the eighth day God was bored
    Thus he created the JEEP
    And has been rollin' ever since

    Book of Russ 51:50 :rockon:

  4. #14
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Murica
    Posts
    4,889

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbob309 View Post
    Not so much. Roads are closed due to a locked gate... I dont think God puts up gates.
    Why does that matter anyways, most people don't have a rig capable of driving through 4-6 feet of snow anyways, and if they do I see pictures of their snow wheeling trips every winter.. again, I am not saying that I agree with shutting roads down due to snow or mud, no one is hurt except for the person who is out there. When it starts costing innocent people their homes because some dumbass started the biggest wild fire on record I think they are doing the right thing FOR NOW to keep from more forward happening... Just earlier this week they arrested people I'm flagstaff for having a camp fire. They said they were not aware they couldn't.. with people this stupid out there it kinda limits the options..

  5. #15
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Penis, AZ
    Posts
    8,018

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post
    Why does that matter anyways, most people don't have a rig capable of driving through 4-6 feet of snow anyways, and if they do I see pictures of their snow wheeling trips every winter..
    doesnt have to be a snowed in road. Even the simple forest lakes road on the rim was gated and closed. I wanted to go up there and hike the rim area for some cool snow shots and couldnt get in


    Did you know that 32,788 people died last year in car accidents? Using the states logic we should shut down all the roads to stop people from driving. If no one could use the road then no one would die. Obviously that's not the right answer.

    We have tests, laws and crews that keep our roads safe. There are law enforcement officers that are there to ticket and fine drivers breaking the law, there are crews who help maintain roads and there are tons of emergency response units ready to go if something bad happens.

    The same approach needs to be taken with the forest. Law enforcement ticketing campers, educating the public on responsible use, crews to clear dead brush and thin, and finally lots of emergency response units in case of a fire. We should have a C130 already in place for fire fighting, not weeks later, more hot shot crews, more air tankers. If we know this is a problem lets act proactively and fix it.
    Last edited by offroadaz; 06-30-2011 at 10:01 AM.
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

  6. #16

    Default

    The only hangup with your points Chris is that they have no money to patrol or do much else.
    I hate the closing in the winters for sure. Luckily our WCC trip this wknd is Coconino NF.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

  7. #17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    doesnt have to be a snowed in road. Even the simple forest lakes road on the rim was gated and closed. I wanted to go up there and hike the rim area for some cool snow shots and couldnt get in


    Did you know that 32,788 people died last year in car accidents? Using the states logic we should shut down all the roads to stop people from driving. If no one could use the road then no one would die. Obviously that's not the right answer.

    We have tests, laws and crews that keep our roads safe. There are law enforcement officers that are there to ticket and fine drivers breaking the law, there are crews who help maintain roads and there are tons of emergency response units ready to go if something bad happens.

    The same approach needs to be taken with the forest. Law enforcement ticketing campers, educating the public on responsible use, crews to clear dead brush and thin, and finally lots of emergency response units in case of a fire. We should have a C130 already in place for fire fighting, not weeks later, more hot shot crews, more air tankers. If we know this is a problem lets act proactively and fix it.
    All the money for any government agency goes to the top to the people who run it, same with school systems and most businesses.
    I remember years ago there were 2 G&F officers up here on the rim, but they built a new complex down there on Greenway.
    My son is a Forest Service LEO and he was supposed to get his new truck last October, but they can't even find out where it is!
    The truck he has now is broken most of the time and he has to ride with another officer most days cause they can't keep it fixed.
    Actually the Forest Service is getting the forest thinned one fire at a time. Where the environmentalist wont let them log or thin
    the stupid public is thinning it with fires cause they don't understand the rules apply to THEM.
    The forest is closed up under the rim and Fossil creek is closed. That didn't keep hikers from moving the closed signs and
    driving in and parking and hiking down there. The closure didn't mean them I guess. Then they call the LEO's hard cases
    when they ticket them and tow their vehicles.
    As far as I am concerned, all you people down there need to stay home and learn some respect for nature and other
    people's property. I have had enough of this stupidity with dumb idiots who don't care!
    Last edited by Antman; 06-30-2011 at 03:05 PM.
    Bill W

    K7ANT
    God Bless the Sheep Dogs of America!
    97 Jeep TJ with a few mods. 106" WB Ford HP 44/D44,Locked and 37" MTRs

  8. #18

    hike

    Quote Originally Posted by Antman View Post
    The forest is closed up under the rim and Fossil creek is closed.
    Correction, the south side of Fossil is closed The creek is the boundary for Tonto and Coconino, so as long as you're hiking the old flume trail and swimming only north of the middle of the creek...
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

  9. #19
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Mesa
    Posts
    6,536

    Default

    I say burn it all and start over.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

  10. #20
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    PHX
    Posts
    2,372

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by fatbob309 View Post
    I say burn it all and start over.
    I think that plan is in progress. Not the Coconino Forest though. It seems like they've avoided a huge one so far.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •