Article: Replacing a blown TJ subwoofer speaker

wrench Replacing a blown TJ subwoofer speaker

Several years ago I blew out the stock sub in my TJ. Sure we had fun blaring the stereo for hundreds of thousands of people as we paraded down the street, but I miss having bass when listening to the radio.

I've heard a lot of confusing information for replacing the stock sub. Some say you cant do it because the OHMS are different, others say a cheap $10 speaker work (it doesn't) others say you need to buy another OEM unit. Still others say a Kicker sub fits great. I chose to go with the $60 Kicker 6.5" CompVT Car Subwoofer 2 OHM 10CVT652

Pulling the stock center console is pretty easy, just a few bolts and youre out. Once its removed you can take the sub box out and start removing the speaker.

The old speaker used a 4 wire (dual coil) setup. The new speaker won't use all of these.

Mike had the theme song from 24 going through his head as he defused the bomb (cut the speaker wires)

Once the speaker is free we held up to the new unit to see the size difference. You can tell the new Kicker speaker is a little bit deeper so some trimming is required.

We started out using wire cutters to cut down the plastic in the unit.

This was taking too long so we got out the Dremmel and made quick work of it.

For powering the new sub you use the Gray (-) and Brown (+) wires.

Once its wired up its time to reassemble the unit and tighten it back down. We drilled a couple of extra holes for better mounting.

Once its in step back and admire the new look.

Last step is to stick it back in the console and tighten everything back down.

This really is a plug and play replacement for the stock sub. It sounds great and has plenty of low end. Id reccomend using this speaker for anyone wanting to replace their blown sub.

You can order it from Amazon Kicker 6.5" CompVT Car Subwoofer 2 OHM 10CVT652

Words by: Chris Brewer
    Hand Model: Michael D'Avy
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 06-20-2011 at 10:08 PM.
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Thumbs up

Great straight forward information. This was a hard project to research because of all the misinformation out there on the subject. It really does sound great. The Pyramid speaker Jonathan tried was total crap compared to yours.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Great write up, guys!
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Did you guys look into/research the shallow mount 4 ohm version of that sub?

http://www.amazon.com/KICKER-6-5INCH.../ref=pd_cp_e_1

I'm going to get that one and mount it in my dash. My amp pushes out at 4 ohm and the "box" I have to mount in is 8 x 8. This shallow mount sub is 7.5 x 7.5.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

yah I actually didnt see that one earlier. Id imagine itd work just as good, maybe less trimming required
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.