Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The get your cardio in shape so you dont die on a hike thread

hike The get your cardio in shape so you dont die on a hike thread

Phoenix sits at 1,117ft elevation and Ouray is at 7,792ft

What are you doing to get yourself in shape for the hikes?

My plan so far is doing the elliptical for 30 mins a day along with my normal crunches and pullups

Starting end of May I plan on hiking that mountain off of 67th and deer valley 3x a week.

Current weight is 177lbs ( down from 212 last july )

Goal weight is 165-170

What about you?
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 04-28-2011 at 11:07 PM.
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Not sure how I'll do it as well as your plan.

This weekend I'm hiking from the Fish Hatchery below the rim up to Knoll Lake. I plan on putting everything in my pack that I'll have with me on the CO hike.
    Has 1200 feet of gain in the first couple miles. Temps should be around the same as well. Prob just a bit cooler at night.

I had hoped I'd have more holes to dig with with the property management company. I did 60 but they don't need any more yet. Getting paid for cardio I have no prob with.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

I did Insanity for a week. It's insane, but proved to be too much too soon from my 12mmherniated disc. So I'm back to cardio twice a week, heavy weights twice a week, yoga twice a week, and full body once a week.

After my vacation in early June I'll probably try to start running again. 2-5 miles at a time.

208, should be down to 200.

I'm going to do lung stretches. All I'll need to do is inhale as much as I can and hold it for as long as I can and repeat. I should be able to up my lung capacity by 20% by July
    Ewes not fat ewes fluffy

I'm going to sit in my Jeep and make "brum brum" noises (of course, I'll make a higher pitched sound to make it feel like a higher altitude...)
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

HAHA that hilarious Alan. Wish I could go to Colorado with you guys
    Trust in God and all will work out!

Quote Originally Posted by offroadaz View Post
    Starting end of May I plan on hiking that mountain off of 67th and deer valley 3x a week.
    The tough thing about this and how are you going to pull it off: Right now that works but will you be able to hike closer to the trip (when you'll need it more) when the weather's triple digits?
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Quote Originally Posted by Skatchkins View Post
    The tough thing about this and how are you going to pull it off: Right now that works but will you be able to hike closer to the trip (when you'll need it more) when the weather's triple digits?
    with the baby and stuff Ill have to go at 6am before shes awake that way megan can still get ready for work at 7
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Cool. Eventually you'll have to run it to keep it "cardio" http://hikearizona.com/dex2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=5840

The simplest rule I've heard is that you're at your "Target Heart Rate" if you can carry on a conversation but cannot sing a tune while exercising. The idea is that if you can sing a tune while exercising, you're not pushing your heart hard enough to gain any real benefit, but if you are exercising so intensely that you can't carry on a conversation, it makes for suboptimal endurance training and turns it into more strength training. Similarly, your maximum heart rate is NOT the rate at which your heart fails, but merely the point at which your heart will not beat any faster, regardless of increasing demand. It's really a self-limiting process, since the muscles can't create more demand without more oxygenated blood.
    Low intensity exercise burns more fat calories that high intensity. Take 220 minus your age and multiply by 60-65% for your low intensity range and 80-85% for your high intensity range. Lets use my age as an example: age 62, 220-62=158 my maximum heart rate (this is a quick and dirty formula there are others based on your early AM resting HR). 60% of 158 is 95 HR, 65% is 103 HR. So.... the most effective way for me to burn fat is to do long slow exercise in this 95 to 103 range. For cardio (best for the heart muscle) you'd need to be in the higher range of 80-85%. BUT go faster at a higher heart rate and you burn more overall calories. The short, fast cardio first burns the sugar/simple starch you have in your system....then when that's gone it has to burn fat for the fuel your body needs
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 04-27-2011 at 11:39 AM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

The simplest rule I've heard is that you're at your "Target Heart Rate" if you can carry on a conversation but cannot sing a tune while exercising. The idea is that if you can sing a tune while exercising, you're not pushing your heart hard enough to gain any real benefit, but if you are exercising so intensely that you can't carry on a conversation, it makes for suboptimal endurance training and turns it into more strength training. Similarly, your maximum heart rate is NOT the rate at which your heart fails, but merely the point at which your heart will not beat any faster, regardless of increasing demand. It's really a self-limiting process, since the muscles can't create more demand without more oxygenated blood.
    Thanks for the tip Mike!. The "talk test" is a really good gauge to make sure you're HR is in the right range.