Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: do you carry concealed? Permit or no-permit... what's the difference?

If you do a google search for "arizona ccw" you will find many instructors out there. Now, there's even a 4-hour course. Prices range from $45-$99. I don't endorse any one particular instructor. Reason: Arizona DPS has a standardized lesson plan. Therefore, no matter who you choose, you will get the same instructional class. Some offer a custom class (like I do) but the cost is more and the class-time is longer. These courses cover the basics for getting a CCW, but also include more detailed instruction on firearm usage and defensive tactics. However, these classes start around $200.

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

I also carry but don't have a CCW. I have carried for the past 30 years or so. I now carry concealed, but want a CCW
    cause I travel to Utah and New Mexico a lot.

K7ANT
    God Bless the Sheep Dogs of America!
    97 Jeep TJ with a few mods. 106" WB Ford HP 44/D44,Locked and 37" MTRs

In August 2011 some new gun laws will be taking effect. One in particular is Arizona CCW Training Reform. The burden on the Department of Public Safety (DPS) to approve CCW training courses, training organizations, and instructors has been removed. In a nutshell, Arizona law now mirros Florida's when it comes to qualifying for a CCW permit. With the new changes to ARS 13-3112, ways to qualify for an Arizona CCW permit includes:

1. Completion of any firearms safety or training course or class that is available to the general public, that is offered by a law enforcement agency, a junior college, a college or a private or public institution, academy, organization or firearms training school and that is approved by the Department of Public Safety or that uses instructors who are certified by the National Rifle Association.

2. Completion of any hunter education or hunter safety course approved by the Arizona Game and Fish department or a similar agency of another state.

3. Completion of any National Rifle Association firearms safety or training course.

4. Completion of any law enforcement firearms safety or training course or class that is offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies or other divisions or subdivisions of law enforcement or security enforcement and that is approved by the Department of Public Safety.

5. Evidence of current military service or proof of honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions from the United States armed forces.

6. A valid current or expired concealed weapon, firearm or handgun permit or license that is issued by another state or a political subdivision of another state and that has a training or testing requirement for initial issuance.

7. Completion of any governmental police agency firearms training course and qualification to carry a firearm in the course of normal police duties.

8. Completion of any other firearms safety or training course or class that is conducted by a Department of Public Safety approved or National Rifle Association Certified Firearms Instructor.

DPS is still the issuing department, and an application and fingerprint cards will still need to be submitted (along with the application fee). They will still run NCIC background check to validate you are legally allowed to possess a firearm.

So, all you legal gun owners who have taken ANY Hunter Safety Course or are/have served in the military, can just do the required paperwork, pay the fee and get your CCW. Just need to show proof!

Reference:

http://www.azleg.state.az.us/ars/13/03112.htm

http://www.azcdl.org/AzCDL201108a.pdf

When is this in effect? What date? I couldn't find that.

K7ANT

Found out already in effect as of 7-20.

K7ANT

I've had my CCW since Sept and now with the new law can carry in my favorite restaurant again.

K7ANT

Default State of Nevada no longer recognizes an AZ CCW

I knew this was coming. When we start accepting Hunter's Ed from when you were 10yo as competent training for CCW, this was an inevitable action by many states who share reciprocity or recognition.

March 15, 2013

LAS VEGAS (AP) — Nevada officials say they’re no longer recognizing concealed weapons permits from Arizona after the state relaxed some of its training requirements.

The decision takes effect this week, after a unanimous vote last Thursday from the Nevada Sheriffs’ and Chiefs’ association.

Association officials say Las Vegas firearm instructors first notified them about the changes in the training requirements.

Nevada Department of Public Safety officials say they contacted the Arizona Department of Public Safety and confirmed changes were made in 2010 and 2011.

Those include adjustments to the minimum training requirements, and the elimination of statutory marksmanship and judgmental shooting requirements.

Association officials say the requirements are now too different from Nevada’s for the state to recognize the permits.

Arizona public safety officials didn’t immediately respond to a request for comment.

Read more: http://azcapitoltimes.com/news/2013/...#ixzz2NjJ1u8C1

too bad they arent retroactive for the permit holders who obtained them prior to 2010