Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: do you carry concealed? Permit or no-permit... what's the difference?

Default do you carry concealed? Permit or no-permit... what's the difference?

As many know, Gov. Brewer signed SB1108 into law on in April 2010 and has taken effect on July 29, 2010. The bill extends the ability for Arizona residents, who are at least the age of 21 and can legally posess a firearm, to now carry concealed without a DPS issued CCW Permit.

I am frequently asked, "What does that mean to you and what are the benefits of a CCW Permit?"

There are 5 benefits to having a CCW Permit.

1) Education - the CCW course introduces you to firearms, proper handling, the laws (and consequences), and proper shooting techniques. Education is vital and should be the responsibility of all firearm owners.

2) CCW Permit holders MAY carry their firearm into restarants and bars that serve alcohol (as long as they are not consuming and the restaurant does not have a "no weapon" sign posted).

3) Reciprocity - The SB1108 law only allows an Arizona citizen to carry/conceal in the State of Arizona. CCW Permit holders may carry/conceal their firearms in other States that share in reciprocity. That means your CCW Permit is recognized in 32 States. The States are:

Arizona
    Alaska
    Arkansas
    Colorado
    Delaware
    Florida
    Georgia
    Idaho
    Indiana
    Iowa
    Kansas
    Kentucky
    Louisiana
    Michigan
    Mississippi
    Missouri
    Montana
    Nebraska
    Nevada (starting 7/1/11)
    New Hampshire
    New Mexico
    North Carolina
    North Dakota
    Ohio, Oklahoma
    Pennsylvania
    South Carolina
    South Dakota
    Tennessee
    Texas
    Utah
    Virginia
    West Virginia
    Wyoming

Note: Although you may carry your firearm in these other States, you are subject to THEIR laws. An example is: Some States may have a magazine capacity restriction of 10 rounds or less. Some States does NOT allow you to carry in an establishment that serves alcohol. Be aware of their firearm/CCW laws before visiting. Ignorance is no excuse for breaking the law. The penalties are not worth it.

Resource: If you are planning a road trip, visit this site and enter the States you are traveling through. It will let you know if they recognize the Arizona CCW, and if not, links to their laws.

4) Being that you've already been background checked and ran through the NICS (National Instant Criminal Background Check System), you will no longer have to do this process when purchasing a firearm from a FFL dealer.

5) The $60 fee you pay to DPS helps out the State's economy and your permit is good for 5 years. The tuition fee you pay to your instructor helps support his family and business. In all, the fees are good for our Arizona economy. Ok.. a bit of a stretch, but it's true.

Note: When renewing your Arizona CCW, you no longer have to attand the 2 hour refresher course, or resubmit fingerprint cards. All you have to do is fill out the DPS Renewal Application and send in your $43 renewal fee.

Personally, I don't care if you carry a gun in the plain sight or concealed. If you "carry", get yourself educated. Once you made up your mind to carry a firearm and are willing to use it in the defense of self or others, you take on a WORLD of responsibility (and liability). Learn to use your firearm correctly, safely and accurately. Read/Learn the Arizona Revised Statues Title 13, especially chapter 31, that deals with weapons and explosives.

It is my belief that an Armed America is a safer America. Criminals generally choose "easy targets" and are mostly crimes of opportunity. With our new Conceal Carry Law and CCW Permits, criminals now have to think twice about attacking an Arizona Citizen. Most of us are packing guns now!

Last edited by 2ndchance; 06-23-2011 at 04:32 PM.

It's better to be prepared, than scared.
    Mailman by day, Gun Nut by night.
    NRA Certified Instructor - 5 disciplines.

Another great info post
    I carry and have my permit

Great post, I stickied the thread

I have my CCW as well

Woot! After 13 years of being on various forum boards, this is my first Sticky!

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndchance View Post
    Woot! After 13 years of being on various forum boards, this is my first Sticky!
    lol

I carry as well, but do not have my CCW for various reasons. But, I am educated and know my gun. I choose to not have my CCW because the less info the government knows about me, the better.

Ha Ha. Too late! The information they gather for your CCW is no different than when you purchased your first firearm from a FFL dealer. It's the same process. If you've ever worked a government job, it's the same process. If you've ever been fingerprinted... same process.

Having a CCW can also be a benefit in the event you actually have to defend yourself and find yourself in a criminal or civil court. It shows that you are responsible and safety conscience.

Don't own a single registered gun, have never purchased from a FFL dealer have never worked a government job and have never been finger printed.

Shame on me! I just updated the original post. There is another benefit of a CCW. No more background checks when purchasing a firearm from a licensed dealer. Also, CCW Renewal no longer requires the 2 hour refresher course or resubmitting fingerprint cards. Just fill out the application and send in the $43 fee.

Repost from AZCDL.Org

It’s official: http://www.nvrepository.state.nv.us/ccw_changes.shtml

Nevada has chosen to honor Arizona CCW permits starting July 1, 2011.

Prior to Nevada recognizing out of state permits in 2007, a Nevada permit was required to carry discreetly. For a brief period Utah and Florida permits were recognized by Nevada, but these states were de-listed in 2009 when Nevada determined they no longer met their requirements.

For the past two years, the best way for Arizona residents to legally carry a firearm in Nevada was by obtaining a Nevada permit. Unlike Arizona, Nevada permits are limited to the general type of firearm you qualify with (semi-auto or revolver) on the shooting test. Training and testing is required for renewals as well as initial permits.

When traveling to Nevada with your Arizona permit, you need to be familiar with Nevada’s firearms laws. Their preemption laws are not as strong as we have in Arizona and there are some localities where the carrying of firearms is restricted.

These alerts are a project of the Arizona Citizens Defense League (AzCDL), an all volunteer, non-profit, non-partisan grassroots organization: http://www.azcdl.org/html/join_us_.html .

AzCDL – Protecting Your Freedom
    http://www.azcdl.org/html/accomplishments.html .

Copyright © 2011 Arizona Citizens Defense League, Inc., all rights reserved.

I carry but don't have a CCW. Where is an affordable course to get one?

No plan B.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger except for bears, bears will kill you.

#Ibelieve