Article: CB install in my XJ

Default CB install in my XJ

I've had a cb and all the stuff to wire it sitting in my garage for a long while. Other projects kept getting in the way, but I finally got some time to work on the dirty jeep this week.

I wanted the CB to be easy to get to and not in the way, the usual places under the driver side dash didn't work for me as my knees and legs take up most of that room. I usually have a passenger (most often my 6yr old son) so I didn't want to mount it on the pass side of the center console where his legs flail around. I thought about mounting it on the b pillar right next to me but that could get annoying to reach.

Then it hit me: I have a small security camera looking thing mounted between the visors that is supposed to be for the keyless entry (which I don't have remotes for and rarely lock the doors anyway). The screws almost aligned with the CB bracket and the unit fits between the visors without any issues. My only concern was routing the wires, but after removing a few trim panels it looked like it might be pretty easy.

I removed the 2 screws that hold the keyless entry receiver as well as the 2 screws holding the trim along the a-pillar and above the door. I could see the wires running through the headliner and it looked like a straight shot. I used some stiff wire I had in the garage to fish from the door side over to the opening between the visors, looped it around the power wires and pull them through (if you're using wire make sure there are no ends pointing out or in the direction you are pulling to prevent snagging the headliner or catching other wires as you pull them through). I then did the same with the antenna wire, which was a little more difficult, but it fit.

From here, split the power wires to go down to the fuse box and the antenna wire to run to the back.
    I had a power antenna, that I don't use so I just crimped blade connectors to the ends and plug them in. There is an in-line fuse for the CB unit that I kept easily accessible behind the keyless entry receiver.

I was able to keep the antenna wire hidden most of the way back, but reliezed the rear trim panels were metal and I didn't want to pinch them so it got a little ugly here.

I used a couple wire clips to keep the wire out of the way, then it dissapears back into the rear cargo area side panel and out the grommet next to the tail light.

From here I bolted a tab I took from a mirror antenna mount to my steel tail light boxes (built by Chris at Lost Offroad Fabrication) and mounted the quick disconnect to so it would still fit in the garage.

Now I just had to drill a new hole in the bracket to align with the existing screws, plug everything in and put all the trim pieces back on.

done
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 12-23-2010 at 01:15 PM.

Thumbs up

Great write-up and pics.

Thanks being a contributing member to the install section

Great write up, man. Nice and clean with attention to detail. Well done, sir!

Looks good Matt! Now come wheelin Sunday!

Nice install after all that nice work don't forget to put an swr meter on that

Quote Originally Posted by Bill88xj View Post
    Looks good Matt! Now come wheelin Sunday!
    Got church in the morning. Need to get out soon though.

Quote Originally Posted by T.C.'S TOY View Post
    Nice install after all that nice work don't forget to put an swr meter on that
    I will. Anybody know a good place?

Quote Originally Posted by sweathog View Post
    I will. Anybody know a good place?
    Apollo on Northern and 43rd for $10. Also I have a meter.

I'm in north east Phoenix.

I am in north Glendale at 45th and Union. I have an SWR meter too.

No plan B.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger except for bears, bears will kill you.

#Ibelieve

Quote Originally Posted by defibvt View Post
    I am in north Glendale at 45th and Union. I have an SWR meter too.
    You're not to far from me... if you don't mind. PM me and maybe I can swing by this week. THX!