Thread: Shed Antler Hunting Spring 2011

shooting Shed Antler Hunting Spring 2011

I know it's way beyond being early but I just thought I'd post this up to get some interest. As I'm sure most of you know antlered creatures such as Mule deer, Coues Deer (pronounced cows), and Elk lose or shed their antlers every year. This means that those record breaking bulls and bucks have record size antlers just laying on some wilderness hillside just waiting to be found.

Generally those with larger racks shed first, which makes sense considering they weigh more than the racks of younger animals. Deer can drop their antlers from as early as November (wouldn't count on it though) through May. Elk from February through May. It's not an exact science when or where they will shed their antlers, as a lot has to do with how weak they are from winter and when the snow melts. Good places to find antlers are fences, streams, gullies, or any place where they would have likely jumped and jarred an antler loose. Other common places are feeding and bedding areas. Focus will be mainly on the south facing slopes where they would have received more warmth during the winter months. You'll need a good pair of binocs and some quality hiking boots (there will be a lot of hiking involved). Unless you want to carry your finds by hand it's advisable you have a backpack or external frame you can use to tie your booty to. You do not need any license to hunt for or possess shed antlers.

Also, elk antlers in good quality can sell for upwards of $10 per lb. and record matching pairs for both elk and deer can sell for thousands of dollars. Obviously with the idea of money laying out there just waiting to be picked up it's extremely competitive so the earlier you head out and the more eyes you have the better. I'm not sure about the selling process, probably ebay or craigslist, but it's a no lose way to get a little extra cash for jeep/x/truck parts or for the club. If you hunt or are thinking about hunting shed antlers give good insight as to the size and quality of game animals within that area. It's also a great tactic to keep track of how a specific animal grows. I've heard of people have a record deer on their wall with that deer's shed antlers from years before next to it. Very cool stuff.

There won't be a single trip but many trips throughout the spring. Assume 1-2 trips per month from February though May. Unlike many other states Arizona has no season start date for antler hunting, they just ask that if you head out late winter/early spring you give animals more space than normal as they could be weak from winter and any unnecessary stress could in fact kill them. It's a great way to get a good workout, camp with some good friends, and enjoy quality time with the family (great outdoor activity for the kiddos). So who's interested?

Last edited by Skatchkins; 02-18-2011 at 12:23 AM.
    '94 Ram 2500 :: 35's :: rear LSD :: 4.10's :: Crate 5.9 :: thats about it!

THAT is very cool.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

I might be interested. Not sure how many I can make but would be fun!

Well I can use the exercise! and a few racks
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

We're not hunting those kind of racks, Paul....
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Quote Originally Posted by alanzona View Post
    We're not hunting those kind of racks, Paul....
    Let him dream. He'll soon realize those are basically impossible to find in the wilderness.

Quote Originally Posted by AZCA jeeper View Post
    Let him dream. He'll soon realize those are basically impossible to find in the wilderness.
    And when/if you do find them you probably wouldn't want to take them home... just sayin.

(I am basing this all off Without A Paddle)

Quote Originally Posted by Avis View Post

(I am basing this all off Without A Paddle)
    Eh, nothing a Norelco couldn't solve.

Also, if you do find a matching pair they make kits that include a skull you can mount them to for a euro style mount.
    Last edited by AZCA jeeper; 10-30-2010 at 10:46 AM.

are you still planning on doing this?
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Itís better not to see them being made.

Yep, probably looking at late march for the first weekend though.