Thread: Labor Day Weekend Rim Camping

Default Labor Day Weekend Rim Camping

Day 1. Saturday: After much difficulty with the dog we finally got onto Rim road and met up with Daniel and his girlfriend. I'm not sure what else I expected but it was insanely busy! Quads, 5th wheels, and tents scattered everywhere. Luckily the super secret campsite on Turkey Creek discovered by Daniel was secluded enough that the only visitors we got all weekend were a few quads, some Jeeps, and a weird Chevy/landcruiser/explorer looking thing. Whatever it was it was by far the noisiest, clankiest, most raddliest rig I have ever heard. Daniel knew right away from the unique sounds it made that the suspension was undeniably Chevrolet in origin.

The afternoon consisted of a wood-seeking drive with Daniel toughing it out sitting in the bed in the increasingly heavy rain. Back at camp it rained for about another 30 minutes before clearing up so I went for a nice ride to enjoy the weather. Once I returned we pulled out the guns and had a little shooting spree. Note to self: 20 gauge, though smaller than a 12, is very intimidating! Once it became dark enough we went out to the power lines to gaze at the Milky-way and then returned to start a fire in the sub-par fire pit. I unfolded my cot in the bed of the truck and we all went to sleep with the sound of bugling bull elk way off in the distance.

Day 2, Sunday: Woke up early, started a morning fire with the coals from the night before, and listened to more elk. Around mid morning we hopped in the trucks and went exploring. We didn't discover anything too interesting, but we did have a good time playing in the mud at the playground. We arrived back at camp around noon, tested the range limits of the BB gun, and then began reconstructing the fire pit. Whomever the last builders were obviously had no knowledge of how a fire pit is properly built so reconstruction began by pulling all the rocks way from the pit and then digging down about 8" into the soil. After that we pulled large flat stones down from the hillside and pieced them together in such a way that the Roman's would be proud. Soon after the pit's completion construction on Fort ______ (yet to be named) began. As of now only one wall of the fort is completed, but after a few more return trips I have no doubt the HG4x4 crew can make it epic. That night Fort ______ was to be my shelter so the ground was leveled and a tarp was rigged. After a little food, some good laughs, and a series of loud, mysterious sounds coming from the forest we headed to bed, Daniel with his usual arsenal and me with his 9mm. The elk that night were much closer but sadly none came bugling into camp.

Day 3, Monday. Another early morning but there we didn't spend any time playing around. After some grub it was straight to work loading up the trucks. By 8:30 we were out of there and after some difficulty with the bike in the bed, slow people hauling 5th wheels, and long lines at the gas station we were at the McDonalds in Payson by 10, just in time to catch 'em while they were still serving breakfast! Eventually we said our goodbyes and headed home. Traffic wasn't bad at all and I arrived home just before noon. Overall it was a fantastic trip and I can't wait to return to complete Fort _____.

"My barrel is longer"--"True, but mine holds more rounds."

Daniel so close to getting stuck. It would have felt great had he needed me to pull him out.

Full album here
    '94 Ram 2500 :: 35's :: rear LSD :: 4.10's :: Crate 5.9 :: thats about it!

Very cool. Love the gun and fort pics.
    We drove around with out eyes out for you. In fact all wknd, Bob would shout, "There's Avis!" anytime he saw a white chevy. And I do mean anytime and even all the way home lol.
    Seems like 80% of the trucks out there met the description.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Nice! I did look for you guys... It was fun for me (Im not sure mike liked it) to shout "There Avis is!!!!" any time I found a white chevy.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

Awesome write up Caleb! I feel no need to post any pictures anymore lol

White Chevys are a dime a dozen. I'd imagine that would get a tad annoying! lol
    '94 Ram 2500 :: 35's :: rear LSD :: 4.10's :: Crate 5.9 :: thats about it!

AWESOME! I love the fort shot. Makes me happy. LOL

Great write up and pics, man! Thanks for sharing. I'm jealous.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB