Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Manmping 2009

Default Manmping 2009

Great success! Great fun!

I'll let Mike and/or Paul do a technical write up, but all I know is that we had a BLAST. The hike in and OUT nearly killed me, but everything in between was absolutely perfect and made the hikes in and out worth it.

We were right above the creek, so when you hiked down (20 ft?) for water and such, this what you saw. Crawfish traps, fishing poles, and general sense of timelessness were required.

Here's setting up camp:

Paul and I's "room"

Mike, Jon, Caleb, and Steve's "room" (Jared got his own room...)

Saturday morning was for heading down the creek, going to the hanging gardens, jumping off cliffs, and building a rope swing.

Here we are headed down stream for the day...

Last edited by alanzona; 08-09-2009 at 08:48 PM.
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Along the way, there is a wash out and the natural colors of the stone make this "surfer dude"... Ivan says it looks like a water skiier.

More rocks and scenic travel... did I mention we had a GREAT time?

Six Pack Abs, buddy!

Floating through narrow and deep portions of the canyon...

Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Jared cliff jumping...

Jonathan watches from the ONLY patch of warm sun to be found!!!

You know, it's easy to just hang by your hands until people start making jokes...

After 30 minutes of too many cheifs and not enough indians... the rope swing takes LIFE!

Mike always finds a great spot to take pictures!

NOW we are ready to swing!!!

Gratuitous upper body nakedness... Steve, you stud. This one was just for the ladies...

Caleb shows us how to OWN the rope swing! LOL You win the prize, buddy.

sometimes, we could only hold hands...

Mike finally JUMPS FOR HIS LIFE! Great cliff jump, man.

and headed down stream again...

Now, the only truly scary part was Mike twisting his ankle... he'll be OK, but it was scary. He slid off a rock and twisted it something bad. I'll let him fill in on the details, but Jared jumped right in, took charge of the situation, took great care of Mike, and took him back to camp to heal.

Despite the pain, Mike was able to put on his "tough guy" manping face for one picture. No smiling, though.

The rest of us carried on downstream with Jonathan as our guide to find the hanging gardens. Jared and Mike headed back to camp.

Last edited by alanzona; 08-09-2009 at 07:43 PM.

The hanging gardens were truly paradise on earth... beautiful, cool water, and well worth the hike.

there were even MERMEN!

We ate lunch and headed back to camp...

Once there, we saw Mike's ankle was only a "little" swollen

and I proved that a couch potato can even find a couch while Manping...

All in all, great weekend, guys! Looking forward to next year!

Be safe, post up your pics... Caleb and Paul, thanks for helping the old, out of shape, fat guy up the hill. It nearly killed me, but your encourgement, patience, and motivational dreams of Dairy Queen helped me make it to the top.

Bob and Geoff - MAN I wish you guys had made it, but I understand... maybe next year?

YOU ALL SUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Im so jelous but than again if you could of waited till 500 to leave i would been able to come but customers want there cars and that part of the business..
    .,=======o00o
    //___l__|_,\___\,___
    l_---\__|___l---[]lllllll[]
    _(o)_)_____(o)_)--o-)_)__

RIP MOM I LOVE YOU 1/16/1950 - 5/30/08

Great time guys. Glad we had a solid turnout. Gets kind of old snuggling up to the same guys each year.
    So props to Jonathan and Jared for sharing their 4th with me, Steve his third, and to all the new people that braved the testosterone high.
    Bonus points to Alan for his rock climbing skilz; Jared for his medical help- couldn't have made it out without you (Felt like Fish Creek all over again but much more terrain plus your brace was better); and Jonathan for his landscaping and fire skilz. Caleb it was good to meet you again, you fit in great.
    Very excited to have lived off the land (water) Saturday night with our crawfish boil and fried skillet fish. Thanks for the help Jon, Jar, and Steve with the traps and catchins. -sorry Jared we didn't get that squirrel
    Got to see other animals out there too besides squirrels. Saw 3 fat turkeys on the way in and 5+ on the way out. And then there were these guys:
    Name:  ringer.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  35.6 KB

DESCRIPTION: A cat-sized mammal resembling a small fox with a raccoon-like tail. The tail is as long as head-body length. Muzzle is elongate, pointed, and grizzled; nose pad is blackish. Tail is marked by numerous alternating black and white rings and a black tip. Populations tend to be smaller in the interior West, Southwest, and Baja California, and larger in southern Mexico.

Nocturnal, bold but not aggressive, secretive. Dens in caves, crevices, and hollow trees. Uses abandoned buildings and even attics of occupied dwellings. Will visit campsites and rummage through gear sometimes taking items, especially shiny ones. Agile climbers, negotiating trees and shear rock faces with ease. Several ringtails may occupy the same area. Afflictions include rabies and an assortment of fleas, ticks, mites, and lice externally, and cestodes and nematodes internally. Coyotes, bobcats, great horned owls and other sizable carnivores prey on ringtails. The ringtail’s considerable tail provides balance for negotiating narrow ledges and limbs, even allowing them to reverse directions by performing a cartwheel. They can rotate their hind feet 180degrees, giving them the ability to rapidly descend cliffs or trees as well as cacti. Furthermore, ringtails can ascend narrow passages by stemming (pressing all feet on one wall and their back against the other or pressing both right feet on one wall and both left feet on the other, and wider cracks by ricocheting between walls.

HABITAT: Rocky walls of canyons, talus slopes, cliffs and ridges from desert scrub through chaparral and the oak-pine belt. Less common in heavily wooded areas. Associated with water (within .5 miles) such as rivers, streams, tinajas, seeps and springs.

http://www.azgfd.gov/w_c/edits/documents/Bassastu.d.pdf
    Ring Tailed Cats kept sneakin into camp even while we were in it. I know Paul had his own experience but I had one come down the tree and stare at me in the moonlight as I slept three feet away. I barely heard the rustle of his tail on the leaves in front of me.
    Glad you guys got to see the Gardens. Sorry Jared missed it but thanks for helping me back to camp.
    First I was scared bec I saw my foot go 90deg under me even though I recognized the gunshot sound for what it was. After I found out the pain wouldn't go past anything I couldn't handle, I was upset I ruined the day. After I knew you guys could still go on, my mind went to the hike up and out.
    Jared wrapped the snot out of it for that though and with a walking stick and slow steady pace we were at the top in less than an hour.
    Bob I'm sorry we didn't get to see your visit. We should've worked out a gunshot system like we did with Paul. We could've sent fresh meat Caleb up for help.
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 08-09-2009 at 08:44 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Thanks to everyone that was able to make it, it was a great turnout.

I had a blast with the crew that went. Thanks for posting pic of the gardins, would have loved to see them but a buddy was in need. Oh, and I am young enough to come back without having to train for a year. Just kidding older people, everyone did great on the trip considering the terrain. I myself got a little winded hiking out.

All in all, I consider our 4th annual Manping trip a huge success. Good turnout, great people and lots of fun. Cant wait till next years trip.

Again, thanks to everyone for pitching in and helping when needed, everyone that went really made the trip what it was.
    "The American Indians found out what happens when
    you don't control immigration."

Thanks also to the camera people! I ended up only taking a few random ones around camp. I like the trip pictomentary we have going here.

Notice nothing in the picture for scale

But so tasty just the same. Compliments to the cook!

Someone should probably check on Alan

Thanks brother

So after the first group left, Jonathan had us help him begin Phase II of Operation Campsite Landscape

Before:

That's right, a river rock patio lounge area. Next time benches
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 08-09-2009 at 09:44 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com