Page 1 of 30 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Moab 09 General Discussion

moab09 Moab 09 General Discussion

Ok... So you all have more than enough time to get things around and start saving $$$.

Mike and I had a great time in Moab but something was missing... It was all of you guys! We talked about it and next year we would love to have the 1st ever HigherGround4x4 Moab run. This would be with the boys from JU and people from AZVJC but it would be our group camping together and on the trail together.

You have a year to make it happen. Start saving that extra change and put a few bucks away each month so it won’t kill you when it comes time to drive. This trip is kid friendly so bring them along. Also there is enough other stuff to do in Moab that if you need to spend a day with the wife and kids hiking or rafting you can do that.

I have a bet on how many will end up going... I hope I am wrong and it ends up with more than me and Mike.

Click for Moab, Utah Forecast
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 04-02-2009 at 10:46 AM.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

That might just be long enough to get my Jeep working. :eyeroll:

A little knowledge for pole sitters

- It took under 7.5hrs to get there. And that was at trailer speeds.

- Plenty of options on lodging.
    To camp with full access to clean bathrooms and showers only cost us $120 for a week. That's $20 a night for 2 people.
    They had small and large cabins available with all the amenitites and condos are always out for rent.

- We chose to eat out in town for dinners and made sandwiches for lunch.

-Main part of town is 5 minutes away
    -Arches National Park is 12 minutes away
    -Trails are anywhere from 10-25 minutes away

-Many of our people are already set up for this run.
    Tire size and clearance
    Lockers

• A recomended part would be a winch for obstacles you may not be comfortable free climbing. It also enables you to take care of yourself instead of relying on someone else's rig.
    • I would look into at least getting a partial cage. Bob has a sport cage tied into his stock. He used it this trip but he knew he would and was comfortable with it. The other guys did not try that obstacle b/c they did not want to lay their's down and no one offered negative comment.
    • An extra bonus would be an altered transfer case like 4:1, or for you big spenders, an Atlas.

There are plenty of trails of different skill levels and optional lines galore. While it's best to be prepared, no one we were out with lost more than a bead on their tire. Bob had a control arm inner part wear out on him but it did not hinder his Jeep.

Any other questions? Fire away.
    We did miss you guys though. And pics weren't nearly as fun with other people's rigs and not HG badged buds.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

This is great info, Mike. Thank you. It makes the spouse sell much easier!

What are the tenative dates? My being able to go this year was timing related, not economics, and I'd like to make sure it isn't a conflict next year.

This is something that I very seriously want to do, either with family or without, or a "just the boys" trip with Ivan. With this much planning, it makes it much more likely to happen, both work wise and family wise.

thanks again, guys! We've enjoyed living through your adventures this year and look forward to making our own next year!
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

It would be around the same time. Mid of May. No set dates yet. That happens in a few months.

Nope, ballpark dates are fine. I can plan for "May".

"Spring" or "1st half of 2009" is a bit more difficult to nail down! :cool)
    The Dusty Gnome / White Collar Publishing
    Follow @thedustygnome on Twitter and at www.thedustygnome.com or White Collar Publishing on FB

Ok what about if you dont have lockers? I will really try to make it I think it would be a blast.
    When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bike. Then I realized that God doesn't work that way, so I stole one and asked him to forgive me.

Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Ok what about if you dont have lockers? I will really try to make it I think it would be a blast.
    A locker is about $500. Its well worth it for Moab. If you don't have one you can still do a bunch of the trails in Moab with out to much of a problem. On some stuff you may need to take a strap. Not a big deal. We all need a tug at one time or another.

I would put it to the group that at least one locker is required for the trails we'd like to see.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

We'll have to see as it gets closer. We have some big financial challenges starting in Sept. The pics looks awesome and super beautiful and it would be fun to go with the group.
    Ewes not fat ewes fluffy