Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: Permits - Before You Begin - Do you have the right ones?

  1. #1

    Exclamation Permits - Before You Begin - Do you have the right ones?

    If you didn't know it already, our State land is divided up into different land management areas. While there are different National Forests throughout, there are also Bureau of Land Management maintained areas, and State Trust Land.

    If you're heading onto National Forest land that requires a fee, you'll almost assuredly know it as fee stations are set up upon entrance.

    BLM doesn't actually require a permit unless you're venturing into 3 select wilderness areas and a permit for those have to be purcahsed in advance. The number of allowable visitors to these areas is limited to protect the landscape and the wildlife.

    Most likely though you'll end up journeying through State Trust Land which does require for even driving through. These areas are scattered throughout the state and it's not hard to find yourself on a tract without even knowing. But even though they don't have to post signs, you ARE responsable for knowing where you are and fines can begin at $500.

    ACCESS ACROSS STATE LAND FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES by off-highway vehicles is outlined under State Land Department A.A.C. Rule R12-5-533(D). Under this rule a recreationist would need a permit to gain access to State Trust land or to other lands beyond Trust land unless traveling on a public road or highway.

    • Target shooting, paint ball games, fireworks

    • Non-recreational or extended camping

    • Recreational flying

    • Visiting prehistoric and historic cultural or archaeological sites

    • Metal detecting

    • Collecting or removing natural products (rocks, stone, soil, fossils, mineral specimens, cacti, saguaro or cholla skeletons, plants (live or dead), or firewood for home use

    • Rock crawling or rock hopping
    Closure of State lands to specific recreational activities, on a temporary or permanent basis, may include the following reasons:

    • Sensitive or protected archaeological or ecological areas

    • Environmental issues, i.e. trespass or mitigation activities, environmental contamination/hazards, dust abatement, etc.

    • Map depicting closed areas (State Trust Land - Dust Abatement Closures)

    • In coordination with Arizona Game and Fish Department

    • Commercial development, mining, agricultural or timber harvesting activities

    • Lands leased to State Parks (separate permit system through State Parks)

    • Health, safety and welfare of the public

    • State Forester declaration of extreme fire danger or fire restrictions

    During periods of high fire danger, the State Forester may prohibit fire causing activities, such as open burning, camp and cooking fires, and/or smoking to prevent wildfires. Under severe fire danger the State lands may be closed to all recreational activities.
    State Land Permit Restrictions

    Individual Permits: 1 Year $15.00
    Family Permits: 1 Year $20.00
    You may print out an application online

    Or visit one of the three Arizona offices:

    Phoenix Office
    1616 West Adams
    Phoenix, AZ 85007
    (602) 364-2753

    Flagstaff Office
    3650 Lake Mary Road
    Flagstaff, AZ 86001
    (928 ) 774-1425

    Tucson Office
    177 N Church Suite 1100
    Tucson, AZ 85701
    (520) 209-4250

    There is a great map for viewing aprised state lands here on the State Trust site

    Check it out. Click the layer/legend button and see who's land you've perhaps unknowingly been on!
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 04-15-2011 at 10:21 AM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer

  2. #2


    Higher Ground believes strongly in reporting Trail Damage and Trespassing

    Please report any offenses


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts