Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Article: Rate Your Tires

Lightbulb Rate Your Tires

*There's a "post about your tires" thread on another forum I frequent so I just figured I'd copy my info here. Feel free to tell about the tires you are currently running. I can add a photo if you need one.

Tire: BFG AT KO's
    Size: 285/70R 17 (33x11.50)
    Vehicle: 2003 Nissan Xterra
    Suspension Lift: 3"
    Body Lift: 2"

Current tire mileage: 22,000
    Appearance: Good
    Tread life: Extremely good
    Road noise: Too little :red|

Street Performance: Well mannered. Stiff sidewall. On road, I run at no more than 30psi.
    Offroad Performance: Good for medium trails aired down to at least 15. Stiff sidewalls could take even less air.

Rock: Aired down- Decent grip on moderate trails like Sunflower. Not so much for loose rock or large climbs
    Rain: Still good grip. Standard pull- in one side puddle situations
    Mud: Attracts but fair cleaning. Sidewall tread a plus.
    Snow: Seemed good, but experience was packed

Would you buy this tire again?: Yes for tread life, but would much rather more aggressive looking pattern.

Who would you recommend this tire to?: Predominantly to more street driven with medium trail use vehicles. More aggressive pattern like Goodyear MTR's for heavier Arizona Trails.
    Last edited by Skatchkins; 01-13-2010 at 04:40 PM.
    Disclaimably quotastic
    I are photographer
    armchaircrisis.com

Tire: GoodYear MTR
    Size: 37x12.5x15
    Vehicle: 97 Jeep TJ
    Suspension Lift: 4.5"
    Body Lift: 1"

Current tire mileage: Unknown
    Appearance: Tire starting to chunk
    Road noise: People know I am driving down the street.

Street Performance: I only run 20-25psi. They do ok. They seem to find groves in the road.
    Offroad Performance: @6-8psi... The tires do good. I would be happy if there was more grip.
    Rock: See above.
    Rain: They suck. As soon as you get them wet they start to slide.
    Mud: Seems to do ok. Jeep doesn't spend much time in the mud
    Snow: See above...

Would you buy this tire again?: This is the 2nd set so yeah but would rather buy something new...
    Who would you recommend this tire to?: People that use thier rig as a DD and on the trail.
    Last edited by fatbob309; 07-02-2008 at 11:19 AM.
    Touch the cow. Do it NOW!

Tire: ProComp Extreme Mud Terrains
    Size: 33x12.50x15
    Vehicle: 2006 Jeep Unlimited
    Suspension Lift: 5"
    Body Lift: 0"

Current tire mileage: 2-3,000
    Appearance: Very Good, Agressive looking tire with agressive sidewall tread
    Tread life: Good (assumed). I expect the tread life to be shorter than the MTR's as they are a softer compound, but that is what makes them perform better when wet and stick to the rocks so well
    Road noise: Average, far less than the X-Terrains I used to run or the MTR's that friends run

Street Performance: Well mannered. I run at no more than 30psi.
    Offroad Performance: So far they have been awesome at everything I have tried them on except Ice. I run the fronts at 10 and the rears at 13. Soft sidewalls flex real good. Soft tire compound gives excellent grip
    Rock: Aired down- Excellent grip on moderate trails like Sunflower. Flexible sidewalls wrap around rocks and grip real good on areas like lower woodpecker. Good in loose rock/gravel also
    Rain: Still good grip. Standard pull- in one side puddle situations
    Mud: Good cleaning. Sidewall tread is great. Tire digs out and not so much down, pulls thru the mud real well
    Snow: Very little snow time but did good, seemed real slippy on ice tho

Sand: Excellent. Aired down they squat very well and provide a great footprint with excellent traction, even in wet sand.

Would you buy this tire again?: Yes, they work good. May try the Cooper Discoverer STT's tho. Very similar to this tire and a friend has them and really likes them
    Who would you recommend this tire to?: Heavier Trail users, especially combination types where they see rocks but also lots of other terrains like sand, mud water etc. These tires do well on the street but if the Vehicle is primarily a street rig with occasional non-agressive off roading, these tire may wear to quicky to be worth the extra off road traction they supply,

One dislike of these tires however is that the tread is very bad about picking up and throwing small stones. Since the tries are wider than the flares, the fronts have a tendancy to throw stones at you!!! I ride with my arm out the windo a lot and have been hit by a lot of small stones!!!!
    '06 Jeep LJ, '03 F250SD 4x4 Turbo Diesel!, '88 Sami
    American by Birth, Soldier by Choice AND Christian by the Grace of God
    www.KreationKrawlers.com / www.4x4Him.org / www.HigherGround4x4.com
    [SIGPIC]http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q12/kreationkrawlers1/AZLugz_avatar-sm.jpg[/SIGPIC]

Tire: Mickey Thompson Baja Claws
    Size: 35x12.5
    Vehicle: 01 TJ
    Suspension Lift: 3.5"

Current tire mileage: 10,000
    Road noise: Very loud

Street Performance: 100x better then my MTR's. I run around 30psi and they are comfortable on road.
    Offroad Performance: Stick great on rocks and flex pretty good when aired down

Rock: Did great at the cracks and other trails when aired down
    Rain: 100x better then the MTR'r. Ive locked up the brakes and the tires did not skid in the rain
    Mud: Cleans pretty good
    Snow: havent been in it

Would you buy this tire again?: Yes

Who would you recommend this tire to?: Anyone looking for an alternative to the MTR

*** Fronts are being replaced after 3 years and 22k miles. They have worn down considerably. Backs still have decent tread
    Last edited by offroadaz; 06-10-2010 at 05:46 PM.
    Zombie Caving
    Siblings are like sausages. Its better not to see them being made.

Tire: Cooper Discoverer STT
    Size: 33x12.50x16
    Vehicle: 2005 Nissan Xterra
    Suspension Lift: 3"

Current tire mileage: about 19,000
    Appearance: Attention grabbing, Very aggressive looking with insanely cool sidewall tread.
    Tread life: Deep still after almost 20,000, and as said by people who've had them before, takes a LONG time to wear.
    Road noise: Loud hummmmm....and I LOVE it.

Street Performance: Fantastic handling. Run at 32-34 psi. Comfortable.
    Offroad Performance: Awesome in everything I have taken it on.
    Rock: Aired down to 13 psi. GREAT grip, especially uphill loose rocks. Good on both large and small rocks alike.
    Rain: Good. No spinning as I have had with other tires. No sliding. Typical side-pull in side of road puddles.
    Mud: Digs in well and treads clean out quickly.
    Snow: Fantastic as far as I have seen, but we've had two VERY mild winters. No sliding.
    Sand: Unfortunately haven't been in any...YET!

Would you buy this tire again?: I will ONLY buy this tire.

Who would you recommend this tire to?: Anyone. But definitely someone who likes mud AND rock.
    Last edited by XterraXtian; 04-03-2008 at 06:42 AM.
    Visit: http://www.alphaomegaoffroad.com

2000 Jeep TJ
    35" ATs
    4" susp lift
    2" body lift

Default Bfg M/t

Tire:BFG M/T
    Size: 33x12.5
    Vehicle: 03 TJ
    Suspension Lift: 3.5"

Current tire mileage: 12,000
    Road noise: Loud

Street Performance: So far so good. They seem to handle pretty well in the rain and ride well on rough England roads at around 30 psi.

Offroad Performance:Handle great in the mud and really well on loose earth, wouldn't know about rocks haven't seen any around here.

Mud: Does really well in the mud, clears the mud really easily.

Snow: Haven't had a chance to play in the snow

Would you buy this tire again?: Yes

Who would you recommend this tire to?: Anyone looking for a tire that handles just about anything pretty well, also very aggresive look to them.

Tire: BF Goodrich KM/2
    Size: 31x10.50x15
    Vehicle: 1987 Jeep Cherokee
    Suspension Lift: 4.5"

Current tire mileage: about 4,000
    Appearance: Aggressive looking with sidewalls similar looking to the Krawler. Beefy tread.
    Tread life: Comparable to the MT/R or A/T. Great tire for people who use their rig as a Daily Driver but wheel on the weekends.
    Road noise: Medium hummm, wish it were louder though.=) However, as they wear the noise increases.

Street Performance: Run them at 28-30psi. Handles oily/wet roads great. Good, stable grip.
    Offroad Performance: Outstanding in mostly everything I have taken it on. Handles FS road at high speed very well. Rugged sidewalls grip great.

Rock: Aired down to 15 psi. Superb grip, really bites the rocks.
    Rain: Good with some light spinning, though hardly noticeable.
    Mud: Really digs in there and grabs a hold. Treads clean well, but it can still be stuck in there. Still, the tire grips with some mud in the tread.
    Snow: Have yet to test.
    Sand: Does very well in the sand. Great control and no slippage or sliding even at faster speeds. There are better tires out there, but this isn't a bad choice

Would you buy this tire again?: Yes.

Who would you recommend this tire to?: People who need a beefier tire than the A/T, but still use their rig as a DD.
    Last edited by AZCA jeeper; 07-24-2009 at 11:56 PM.
    '94 Ram 2500 :: 35's :: rear LSD :: 4.10's :: Crate 5.9 :: thats about it!

Tire: ProComp Xterrains
    Size: 37 x 13.50R x 17
    Vehicle: 85 Syota
    Suspension Lift: Uh, Um, Well........
    Body Lift: 2"
    Current tire mileage: Un known, bought used, mostly trail
    Appearance: Agressive and direction I run them in the standard direction.
    Tread life: Probably not as good as an MTR, they are softer than standard street but not near as sticky as BFG KX reds or Claws.
    Road noise: Yep
    Street Performance: Run them at 25, pretty round consdering no balance and on beadlocks, slight vibration at 70, goes away by 80. Does take more power to turn them 75 than my old MTR's
    Offroad Performance: Better than my MTR's. Especially on slick rock.
    Failure on MTR's, Success on these tires

Rock: Great, run them at 9-10 good bulge and traction for my rigs weight. Sidewalls are holdin up well.
    Rain: worked great and straight at 70.
    Mud: Try to avoid that mess......

Snow: Kicked but at 5.

Sand: No real deeps stuff but where I've been they hook up and go good.
    Would you buy this tire again?: Not for full price, however I just scored another set with 85%+trad off pirate for a screamin deal.
    Who would you recommend this tire to? Cooper STT or Procomp Xmud terrain, same compound, no directional tread and better priced.
    Sy
    85 Syota, 6.0/700r4/203/300/60's/Detroits/37 MTRk's/XX
    02 Symmins tow beast..... a few goodies
    High Country Renegades

Tire: Mickey Thompson Competition Compound Baja Claw
    Size: 37x13.50x17
    Vehicle: 1999 Jeep Wrangler TJ
    Suspension Lift: 6"
    Body Lift: 1"

Current tire mileage: Not Much
    Appearance: Super aggressive directional tread pattern with huge side lugs.
    Tread life: Not made for road use what so ever.
    Road noise: LOUD!!! =)
    Street Performance: Have ran them at 28 psi on road, but for short distances.
    Offroad Performance: Best tire I have ever used off road.
    Rock: Best tires I've seen or wheeled on in Rocks. Better than Red Label Krawlers in my opinion. Very soft compound. I run mine at 7.5 lbs. on non bead locked wheels and they perform like none other.
    Rain: Haven't driven on them in rain, but they hook up almost as well on wet rock as they do on dry.
    Mud: I run mine backwards, but in mud running forwards will work well also. Tread pattern is staggered as such that they will clean out at higher RPM's.
    Snow: Haven't driven in snow yet.
    Sand:Tire handles excellent in sand or dirt. Grips and floats well.
    Would you buy this tire again?: Oh HELL Yes. However I'd also like to try the Comp Creepy Crawler or Trepador from Maxxis.
    Who would you recommend this tire to?: Anyone that needs a serious tire for "mainly" rock crawling. This tire is not meant to be used in many other applications.
    Thanks,
    Jack Hickman (Dozzer)

President - AZOHVC
    AZ Rock Rats
    Vice President - ASA4WDC

Cippah Guest

Default Rate Your Tires

Not sure if they are making these anymore, but Ive compared them directly with the Faulken Avensus and they are superior on the same autocross course on simularly prepped Stangs.

If you can find a set of these, GET THEM for Autocross or road course.

I found mine in a 265/35/18 size for 135 a piece, worth thier weight in gold for that price, by far the stickest front tire Ive ever ran, wish I had bought some for the rear.

Expect AT MOST 4,000 miles out of them if your run them on the street, these are definately a race oriented tire. Held corners at over 130 on The Green Hell with these tires, Definately recommend.