State Land Trust Permits – Before You Begin

August 15, 2009

If you didn’t know it already, our State land is divided up into different land management areas. While there are different National Forests throughout, there are also Bureau of Land Management maintained areas, and State Trust Land.

If you’re heading onto National Forest land that requires a fee, you’ll almost assuredly know it as fee stations are set up upon entrance.

BLM doesn’t actually require a permit unless you’re venturing into 3 select wilderness areas and a permit for those have to be purcahsed in advance. The number of allowable visitors to these areas is limited to protect the landscape and the wildlife.

Most likely though you’ll end up journeying through State Trust Land which does require for even driving through. These areas are scattered throughout the state and it’s not hard to find yourself on a tract without even knowing.  But even though they don’t have to post signs, you ARE responsable for knowing where you are and fines can begin at $500.

“ACCESS ACROSS STATE LAND FOR RECREATIONAL PURPOSES by off-highway vehicles is outlined under State Land Department A.A.C. Rule R12-5-533(D). Under this rule a recreationist would need a permit to gain access to State Trust land or to other lands beyond Trust land unless traveling on a public road or highway. “


• Target shooting, paint ball games, fireworks

• Non-recreational or extended camping

• Recreational flying

• Visiting prehistoric and historic cultural or archaeological sites

• Metal detecting

• Collecting or removing natural products (rocks, stone, soil, fossils, mineral specimens, cacti, saguaro or cholla skeletons, plants (live or dead), or firewood for home use

• Rock crawling or rock hopping

Closure of State lands to specific recreational activities, on a temporary or permanent basis, may include the following reasons:

• Sensitive or protected archaeological or ecological areas

• Environmental issues, i.e. trespass or mitigation activities, environmental contamination/hazards, dust abatement, etc.

• Map depicting closed areas (State Trust Land – Dust Abatement Closures)

• In coordination with Arizona Game and Fish Department

• Commercial development, mining, agricultural or timber harvesting activities

• Lands leased to State Parks (separate permit system through State Parks)

• Health, safety and welfare of the public

• State Forester declaration of extreme fire danger or fire restrictions

During periods of high fire danger, the State Forester may prohibit fire causing activities, such as open burning, camp and cooking fires, and/or smoking to prevent wildfires. Under severe fire danger the State lands may be closed to all recreational activities.

State Land Permit Restrictions


You may print out an application online:

Or visit one of the three Arizona offices:

Phoenix Office
1616 West Adams
Phoenix, AZ 85007
(602) 364-2753

Flagstaff Office
3650 Lake Mary Road
Flagstaff, AZ 86001
(928) 774-1425

Tucson Office
177 N Church Suite 1100
Tucson, AZ 85701
(520) 209-4250

Here is a great map for viewing aprised state land:

Check it out. Click the layer/legend button and see who’s land you’ve perhaps unknowingly been on


2 Responses to “State Land Trust Permits – Before You Begin”

  1. Garry A Eversult on March 26th, 2011 12:38 am

    I would like to know if it’s possible to get a permit for state trust land ? And also to collect dead cactus skeletons .

  2. Skatchkins on April 15th, 2011 11:17 am

    You’d have to check with Land Management on the cactus question.
    Looks like the State Land permits moved here:

Got something to say?

var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-3579066-1"); pageTracker._initData(); pageTracker._trackPageview();